Looking for a little help on Dual Subwoofer set up

Dylanl

I have a pair of SVS ss 16-46 passive subs and I am driving them with a behringer EP4000 pro amp. I am using my DENON 4800 as a pre amp and sending the LFE signal to a clean box then to amp.

How can I get the best out of these subs? Since I have no EQ will the LFE signal handle this? Any reccomendations on placement etc.?

I have a pair of SVS ss 16-46 passive subs and I am driving them with a behringer EP4000 pro amp. I am using my DENON 4800 as a pre amp and sending the LFE signal to a clean box then to amp. How can I get the best out of these subs? Since I have no EQ will the LFE signal handle this? Any reccomendations on placement etc.?

Do you have an SPL meter?

what is this "clean box" you speak of?

You can use it to go from pro style XLR's to RCA's. Most pro amps have XLR's and run at a different voltage than the home stuff.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=288115&is=REG

Interesting.. I'm wondering if something like this would be usefull for what I'm doing over in my KSP thread. What exactly would be the benefit of using something like this instead of some simple XLR to RCA adapters like these.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-438

Is the voltage from an RCA signal (i.e. sub signal from a receiver) significantly lower than what the amp would "like to see" coming in through the XLR inputs?

Well this would go in between my receiver and my amplifier for the subs in my KSP towers. The sub output from my receiver doesn't appear to have a high enough voltage to work effectively with the amp I just got, and would also convert RCA inputs to Balanced XLR outputs. In addition, the MIC2200 would also serve as a high pass filter to avoid subsonic damage, and it can be used as a parametric EQ to aid in smoothing frequency response.

THIS covers the differences between the cleanbox and adapters. You also might want to see THIS

Yes that is what I have. The art box. I also have the RCA to 1/4". At 1st I did not have enough gain but now I do. Also, I do have an SPL meter but I was thinking maybe more like a Behringer mic set up and some form of software. I also read where someone has a unit for 350.00 that will EQ your room and set up subs. Any idea on placement and should one sub be set 1st then the other or should both be placed at the listening position and the Sub woofer crwl begin??

Well this would go in between my receiver and my amplifier for the subs in my KSP towers. The sub output from my receiver doesn't appear to have a high enough voltage to work effectively with the amp I just got, and would also convert RCA inputs to Balanced XLR outputs. In addition, the MIC2200 would also serve as a high pass filter to avoid subsonic damage, and it can be used as a parametric EQ to aid in smoothing frequency response.

Sounds like it would work but you could achieve the same results by setting your speakers to small in your receivers setup menu and using the receivers high pass filter in it's bass management. At that point all you'd have to buy would be a BFD for PEQ duties. They can be had for about a hundred dollars or so.

Any idea on placement and should one sub be set 1st then the other or should both be placed at the listening position and the Sub woofer crwl begin??

Dual subs can be used 2 different ways. If you co-locate them (put them next to each other) you could most likely expect 3 dB more output than you'd get if you placed them seperately around the room. Another benefit besides the additional output is that you're basically only setting up one sub and calibration is much easier due to the fact that you don't have to fight possible cancellation issues between subs. If you put the subs in different locations, you can potentially eliminate voids or nulls in your room and obtain more even bass over a larger area of the room than you could with two subs in one location. The down side is that it takes much more time and care in setting up. You have to pay a lot of attention to phase adjustment. You COULD put 2 subs in a room and have less output at your seated position than you have with just one sub. That would be a result of sub misplacement and your seated position in an area where the subs cancell each other out. I've had both set-ups in my living room and found plusses and minuses to both configurations.

The art clean box I am finding needs modified to get to low fequencies. Ughhh, I need to find these caps asnd Radio shack doesnt have them. The ones I saw look more like crossover caps. Please see this link for mod then the second one for the testing. Let me know what you think

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/cleanbox/cleanbox.htm

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/5310-art-cleanbox-mod-thread.html

Would Parts Express have these if so what would be the item #

Sounds like it would work but you could achieve the same results by setting your speakers to small in your receivers setup menu and using the receivers high pass filter in it's bass management. At that point all you'd have to buy would be a BFD for PEQ duties. They can be had for about a hundred dollars or so.

Does the BFD have any sort of signal gain capabilities built into it? I'd read through the owners manual online but unfortunately their website doesnt have one available.

Not that I'm aware. That may eliminate the BFD as an option. I forgot you needed the extra gain on your receivers sub out signal. I keep getting you and the OP's systems mixed up. He has a Behringer amp which has a switch on the back to compensate for the pro/consumer voltage driver issue. At least my EP-2500 does.

THIS covers the differences between the cleanbox and adapters. You also might want to see THIS

Yes that is what I have. The art box. I also have the RCA to 1/4". At 1st I did not have enough gain but now I do. Also, I do have an SPL meter but I was thinking maybe more like a Behringer mic set up and some form of software. I also read where someone has a unit for 350.00 that will EQ your room and set up subs. Any idea on placement and should one sub be set 1st then the other or should both be placed at the listening position and the Sub woofer crwl begin??

Newsletter Signup
Navigation.jpg
Resourses.jpg
Arrow3.jpgSpecs
Arrow3.jpgBrochure
(English)
Arrow3.jpgManuals
(English)
(French)
(German)
(Italian)
Arrow3.jpgSMS-1 Software
(Software Ver 2.1.3)

The Outlaw’s Guide to the SMS-1 (an easy-to-use manual from Outlaw Audio on how to set up and operate the SMS-1).

Remote Codes

final_seal1_sm.gif
Only buy online if you see this symbol.
Prod_detail_SMS_remote_mic_.jpg

SMS-1 prodLineSep.jpg
Face it? bass is tough to get right in most listening environments because of the relationship between your subwoofer and the room it's placed in. Now you don't have to worry about it. The SMS-1, featuring Velodyne's revolutionary Digital Drive room correction software, provides all the tools you'll need to adapt ANY subwoofer to the anomalies of your room. With all the features of Digital Drive, including full DSP control, an on-screen display and 8-band digital parametric equalizer, you can see your subwoofer and room's unique characteristics on your TV and adjust the sub's performance accordingly. Presets enable you to tailor the bass to your listening tastes and source material. The SMS-1 won't turn your subwoofer into a Digital Drive sub, but it will get the best possible performance out of it. The SMS-1 comes in a slim, one unit high configuration.

Features

• Automatic or Manual In-Room Bass Correction with Included Microphone
  • Full DSP Control
  • Customizable Listening Mode Factory Presets
  • Full Feature Remote Control
  • Works with ANY Subwoofer
  • 8-band Digital Graphic/Parametric Equalizer
  • On-Screen Display

Dylanl,

I think this is what you are refering too.

Roger