The abilities of "THE AMP" please read to see if you can answer my ???

Shiplemw1

Hello all,

I've read quite a bit of the older posts and all of the newer posts and I've noticed some of the people who now own pro-medias are replacing their sats with quintets. I read somewhere can't remember which post that this increased the output to 560 (under some 600 watt max?) where have people been coming up with this and what exactly are the capabilities of this amp that is included with the pro-medias? Thanks

Hooking different sats will not change the amount of power that the amp puts out. The power is set.. 60W per sat 160W for sub. so if you hook up Quint sats to it, they will still only get 60W max power. They can handle up to 100W.. but the Amp will still only put out 60W.

Hooking 200W speakers to a 100W/channel system does not make it a 200W/channel system. It will just be a 100W/channel system with speakers that can handle 200W

Hope this helps.

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

Pro 4.1 are comin!!!!!!!!

Paragon, haha you make me laugh first off but not meaning to sound rude but what you just said is the most common sense thing that anyone could ever say about home audio or anytype of audio. OBVIOUSLY!!! I've dealt with home audio for a little while (7 years, watts don't appear out of no where)

ex: running infinity reference speakers with 105 watts x 2, they can handle 160, yes underpowered is the word)

I was just asking a question about another persons idea that I saw somewhere. Where if they supposedly changed the 'media's sattelites they somehow would have 560 watts of power all told... don't ask me where they came to that conclusion, I'm just asking what the abilities of the amp are... and still no one has answered my questions with anyting that I can't find on the website, (60x4 for sats, 160 for sub) any other specs on the amp? thanks

Wait one last question....

I read on the back of the sub, amp is compatible with 4-16 ohm speaker loads,

from my experience with other amps, the less impedence the more power.. so since the sats are 4 ohm rated and the quintets are 8 ohm rated wouldn't you be putting 30 watts into them? Thereotically?

ex: Yamaha rx-v596 8 ohm load 100x2

6 ohm load 160x2

4 ohm load 190x2

these numbers aren't right on but they are a close approximation...

yeah, the quintets would make less power.

hello people, more ohms = less power, less ohms = more power. That's why i have 3 ohm homemade speakers hooked up to my low wattage on board sound. only problem is they are making me go deaf. That's why i'm getting the 2.1's!!!!

Ok, "Impedance." is a measure of resistance to the flow of electricity and you need to know this rating to properly select a receiver or amp to power your speakers. Ohm ratings have NOTHING to do with sound quality, just the speaker/amp compatibility. All receivers today will work fine with an 8 ohm speaker, but stronger, higher quality amps can work with lower 4 ohm and even 2 ohm resistance loads. A speaker's impedance can vary widely while playing music- -sometimes an "8" ohm speaker will go as high as 32 ohms (not a problem) and as low as 2 ohms (could be a problem).

All you have to know is the compatibilty between speaker and amps and you wont have a problem.

Iam an electrical engineering student I Know a bit

I'm pretty sure that the advertised 400 watts is the power of the amp. It says it's 60 watts a speaker because it's a hybrid amp that delivers 60 watts per channel. The speakers are probably only able to handle that much too but it's the power of the amp that's mentioned. You always quote the power of the amp when you talk about the power of a system, why would you say you have a 1000 watt system when you only have a 500 watt amp with more capable speakers? That's just dumb.

it's all good seb, If you read my other post keep em or lose em, I ended up taking the 400's back and getting a better receiver so... I'm going to upgrade my home theater system, maybe buy the pro-medias again next year if I'm stuck in another dorm room but if not I'd like to upgrade my current speakers with some really nice klipsch mains and center and then maybe quints in the rear, oh well, later, it's late again,