Just Tested Out Altec 511s and 902-8s, Quite "Tinny" Sounding

nola

A great idea to try. I want to try that. It very well could sound better. Has anyone here heard that set up? If so, comparisons?

It's not a full range driver, but perhaps the horns are suitable for the experiment, I think the eff. rating should do for you...

From http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/102079/1186389.aspx#1186389, Todd C's post of 2009/3/24 4:18 pm

Specs on the F8-80 Horns... they also were avalible as an F8-80W woofer only.

Low Frequency exponential horn, with a short throw figh frequency horn. Woofer 8" hd driver. HF F-333 HF driver (atlas)

response 80-15,000hz +- 5db

power 30 watts rms.

efficiency 109db ( 1 watt 1 meter pink noise )

for use in churches, gyms, auditoriums, high intensity speech projection.

The 15khz spec is with the tweeter in it, mine did not come with them. IIRC it would have been similar to the K-77, but this would need verification.

• 2 weeks later...

You are crossing the 902s too low and with too shallow of a crossover by using them with the ALKs (400 hz and 12 db slope if I recall).

I am the poster you referenced from a year ago, and I've used 902s with wooden Trachorns to great success as two-ways.

I would personally cross them over no lower than 500 hz. If you are going to try to keep using them with the KHorns, then 500 hz would be your point. If you are going to try them with the LaScalas, then 600 would be the point or 700 with an extreme sharp slope.

As Coytee mentioned, if you have about almost two and a half to three grand to burn, then yes, by all means, go ahead and try a Jubescala (horns, drivers & crossover). Personally, my preference would be to slap the 902s on the Trachorns, go with a decent two-way active and be done with it. Of course, different strokes for different folks.

My 902s now reside in the rear with Trachorns, Belles and a loving relationship to a set of Forte drivers. Good luck. If you have any questions, just email or PM me.

Carl.

post-13160-13819500970932_thumb.jpg