KLF-C7 next in the mix --- Question about further upgrades

ssscottg

I managed to gleen from other posts that the center channel is most important for HT setup. So I have receiently agreed to purchase a KLF C-7 to replace my SC-1. This is the recommended timbre match for my KLF Legend 20. Don't have it at home yet, as it's still in route. I found a deal that I couldn't pass up.

Next question is:

What is the recommeded order of my upgrade path:

1. Marantz 6003: Reasoning: Killer reviews and great prices on the 6003 as dealters blow these units out.

2. Synergy Sub-12: Reasoning. My Sony sub is pretty loose sounding and the Sub 12 is supposed to be a great sub.

3. RS-3, RS-42 or RS-52 surrounds? I can move my Quintets to my bedroom :-)

I agree with fastlane as far as the upgrade path. But, if you really want some killer surrounds:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Legendary-Series-KLF-10-DUAL-DRIVERS-KLIPSCH_W0QQitemZ170385458022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item27abc3c366&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Not affiliated with the seller in any way, but they're about the same price as you'd pay for RS-42s and less than what you'd pay for RS-52s and would blow any traditional 'surround' speaker out of the water. If you have the room, seriously consider floorstanders as surrounds. You won't regret it. {edit} YIKES! I actually looked at the speakers in the auction and they are really beat up. Maybe that pair wouldn't be so good after all, unless you're willing to refinish them or live with the scratches. You should be able to pick up a KLF-10 pair for $250-500 depending on color and condition though.

A Sub-12 will be a quantum leap over any Sony sub.

1. You will love the KLF-C7 mated with the 20's. Strong, clear sound and the C7 has perhaps the best vocal sound of any center I've heard.

2. Upgrades - with rear towers, I am not sure if one even needs a sub. To me, I get plenty of bass from my speakers. The sub in my system is pretty anemic and still plenty for my listening room (22'x22'x22'). I would truly ask you to consider (as was posted above) Towers for your surrounds/rears. The depth added (especially in 5 channel stereo) is full and rich. They don't even have to be Klispch (although most would likely prefer that). A myriad of receivers cane easily drive those 20's and C7. If you like the Marrantz, then get it - after you get the surrounds.

3. I'd say the rear towers would be the most bang for the buck, with the sub second and the receiver 3rd.

Fotog,

I received the C7 and played the movie Push last nite.You are right, the vocals are phenomonal , and I noticed that there is so much bass in the effects now. It sounds so good with the KLF 20s. Very clear sound.

Unfortunatly UPS banged them up pretty bad in shipping. No damage to the drivers, but it went from mint to roadies in 5 days. So I submitted a damage report with UPS, I will see how that goes.

I bought some SS-1s from a klipsch fanatic in town off of craigslist yesterday. I will try them out with the KLFs and see how they sound.

Fotog,

I received the C7 and played the movie Push last nite.You are right, the vocals are phenomonal , and I noticed that there is so much bass in the effects now. It sound so good with the KLF 20s. Very clear sound.

Unfortunatly UPS banged them up pretty bad in shipping. No damage to the drivers, but it went from mint to roadies in 5 days. So I submitted a damage report with UPS, I will see how that goes.

I bought some SS-1s from a klipsch fanatic in town off of craigslist yesterday. I will try them out with the KLFs and see how they sound.

Glad to read that you like the C7. Certainly give the SS-1's a try. http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/ss-1-specifications/

I personally would try to get them up on stands near ear level. These may work for you. Unlikely you can get the bass effect like you would from a set of towers - however everyone has their own criteria. Enjoy your speakers - hope the UPS follow up works out for you.

fwiw - you are probably already spacing your 20's a bit from the wall as they are rear ported and need a bit of space for the resonance to develop. If you ever consider rear/surround towers, front port designs work for me. The rear port in the front speakers with front ports in the rear/side speakers seems to optimize the bass allowing for the use of a lesser sub. But each has what sounds good to them.

Enjoy.

I have the SS-1 surrounds installed and the C7 installed
now. Really fantastic sound from both of these units. The C7 is so
efficient and clear I can lower the volume mix to match the L&R KLF-20s at
0db. The SS-1 surround is rated 94db sensitivity so I have the amp gain
to the surround channels turned up. I watched Jurassic Park on Saturday
after my surround install and the surround effect was noticeable.
Monday night football on Direct TV ESPN was equally fantastic, my son and wife
were duly impressed with the new additions.

I have the SS-1 surrounds installed and the C7 installed now. Really fantastic sound from both of these units. The C7 is so efficient and clear I can lower the volume mix to match the L&R KLF-20s at 0db. The SS-1 surround is rated 94db sensitivity so I have the amp gain to the surround channels turned up. I watched Jurassic Park on Saturday after my surround install and the surround effect was noticeable. Monday night football on Direct TV ESPN was equally fantastic, my son and wife were duly impressed with the new additions.

Congrats on your system. Enjoy.