Loud Speaker ; ...follow up

Vonrebel

Still not quite clear.

Could someone once again help clarify this term Loud speaker...

The term Loud speaker, (any speaker);

For instance polk, infinity, boston, or JBL.... are considered loud speakers???

There is nothing, (no diferences) that separates a speaker, from a speaker marketed to be a loud speaker????

There are Speakers?

and

Then there are Loud Speakers?

If there a difference between the two terms, what might the differences be?

Based on the responses received on my last posting, (refferencing this question) there may be no difference between the two terms? Thanks

OK:

LOUDSPEAKER or LOUD SPEAKER means absolutly NOTHING. It is a very good question for a light-hearted discussion, but it means NOTHING. The .5" speaker in your headphones is a LOUDSPEAKER and the quad-18" subwoofer in 100,000 person concert is a LOUDSPEAKER.

I would compare it to calling a vehical a "CAR" It is just a general term to refer to a catagory, cars, trucks, SUV's, BMW 760Li, van, Mercedez-Benz S600, or whatever. In this case, a loudspeakers is a speaker, nothing more. It is a box, or a derivitave of, that makes noise and some have the ability to summon the police.

Even if it DID mean somthing, it doesn't anymore.

I would find any arguement with my reply a little disturbing, IMHO. Is there a better explanation?

The very earliest "speakers" were called "Loud Speaking Telephone". A sample exists in the Klipsch Museum in Hope, Arkansas. Thus the term "Loudspeaker". No difference between that and "speaker".

Hey Boa,

Small world. Olathe for me.

Just put together a complete Klipsch RF-7 system, at least I think it is complete. Looking into the RSW 15 & possible amp.

RF-7

RC-7

RS-7

Velodyne VLF 1012 sub

Yamahas RX-V3000 100 watts x 100

Sony DVD

Technics CD

von, hey great set-up. did u buy local from kief's, accent or brandsmart?

i just sold an acurus A200X5 amp. i'd recommend you get something that packs some power as you already have

a pretty good amp in the yammy.

& listened to the rsw-15 at accent. they didn't have it set-up the best, but yet it still did rock!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Vonrebel, sorry about the hassle... but that is an excellent reason to get on this board and learn something. You will likely get more help and catch less flack here than anywhere else.

And, as you already know, Boa is one of our finest Resident Forum Members. We don't always agree... but we always take our best shot... and are quick to acknowledge our mistakes...

While I have primarily built a Klipsch Legend Theater and a Klipsch Heritage Music Room... I have tremendous respect for the Reference line. They rely less on the classic horn sound than my collection of yesteryear... but they represent probably the best direction to head for the future of home audio.

Please note that the Home Theater is powered by a Yamaha RX-3000... just like yours... except I take advantage of the Front Effects speaker amps.

So, welcome aboard, help others when you can... because that's all the people who help you will ever ask. HornEd

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS, FIVE+ MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

SETTING THE STAGE FOR THE "THEATER OF THE MIND"...

KLF-30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

KLF-30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners. Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808 Upscale Monster Cables and Interconnects

CHANNELING THE MUSIC EXPERIENCE FROM 2 TO 6!

'97 Klipschorn - Mains, '99 Klipsch Belle - Center '83 Cornwall - Surrounds, '93 Academy - Rear Effects

Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Final Amps, etc. to be determined after long discussions with Klipsch Forum Members.

THE MOVEABLE (EAR) FEAST...

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome... an acoustics challenge in 8' x 30'... vandalized... but soon to be "On the Road Again!"

s>

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-06-2002 at 09:10 PM

Von

Sorry Old Boy!! - But people like you cause the rest of us a lot of unecessary grief. If you had been using a set of A7's for 13 years then YOU MUST have had SOME IDEA of the sound you were seeking.

I recall being in auto sales a few years ago and learning to be terrified of certain "experts" who would come into the dealership looking to "upgrade" their vehicles.

Why terror? - Because in most cases they could not accurately locate their hindmost parts without a copy of Gray's Anatomy but they "Knew" everything about vehicles and salesmen. In addition these idiots generally thought they "Knew" everything that could be known about the "Selling" process.As "Salesmen" we were in a NO-Win situation because This type of buyer always felt - and frequently complained of having been "Cheated" - even when they got what they had come to us for.

Typically somebody,(outside of the realities of car sales), said something to them akin to: You only got a 17,000.00 trade-in on a 4 year old car that you paid 22,000 for??? Are you NUTZ??(Let's all ignore the realities of depreciation). On the other hand if one of those Yo-Yo's walked without signing on the dotted line the "Salesman" gets his/her hindmost bits chewed by management.

If you have not qualified "Yourself" by learning what it is you wish to hear after 13 years of using some super speakers then I suggest that you do not possess the ability to comprehend the sound qualities or the ability to convey your needs and wishes to the hapless Salescritter who may well have been trying to meet your needs.

I get sick and tired of the whining I encounter at times. Yes it is abundantly true that the salesperson has a need/responsibility to "qualify" the customer - Only the truly great salespeople have ever developed the knack of mindreading - assuming of course that there is anything available to be read!

Von - It isn't always up to "The Other Guy!"

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 03-06-2002 at 10:52 PM

Thanks for all your responses. Using this BB for a dumpping ground was not the purpose. Getting information and positive feed back was. I was just looking for someone to say hey you got your self one hell of a system. As know zero about audio. Which is the reason for visiting and posting.

I have no problem excepting responsiblity for not doing a better job researching, before speaker shopping.

Some of the speakers the saleman sent me home with I knew wouldn't work. But he insisted I take them home, that if they didn't work simply bring them back and we will exchange them for different ones. Exchange we did. (ha! Smile.gif smiling)

I chose to blindly cooperate with, and do exactly what the sales rep suggested. As it turned out in the end, this saleman was more knowledgable with video sales and new to audio sales.

This is why after speaking with upper management a significant discount was awarded in my favor. As I stated it's all good now. Just trying to find out after the fact how good?

Runnig and operating a construction company leaves me with limited free time. The time needed to put forth the effort to go around to all the audio stores I was hopping to not have to do. As a result of skipping steps and taking short cuts my decisions were based on the salemens advice. The consequences for skipping steps almost always results in an inferior out come.

Maybe this story will benifit another to take your time, shop around.

If my venting has caused you, (specifically little linnie), mental anguish, loss of sleep or to go kick the cat, my sense of grief is well, a reflection of yours for me ol boy.

Vonrebel

Actually the idea of having a complete RF system has me drooling in my food tray. If my response came across as a little heavy - So be it but...

When we as consumer's go shopping and are prepared to drop some major coin - WE have a responsibility to ourselves to do our homework.

That said,I think you have put together a system that will give you a lot of pleasure.

As a certifiable,(my wife says I am certifiable),Luddite can you give a little more detail regarding your amp and input sources.

As for being a "little linnie" - God I wish!! <GRIN>. That would get my Doc and my wife off my A**,(Gray's pg. 14)

In any event I would NEVER KICK YOUR CAT!! - I have three Mistresses of my own to deal with!!

A while back my wife and I got up and went into the kitchen and you could actually see your breath! Our oldest cat was lying on the heat vent and as we watched she adjusted her paws and tail so as to capture any heat coming from the vent because some hot air was getting into the room instead of her. - Her Mama Never Raised No Dumb Kittens!!

Enjoy!!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 03-08-2002 at 12:18 AM

Thanks for responding LynnM, and for the complement on the RF-7 system.

I forked out so large doe out of frustration, tired of returns, trying to put together a nice HT and musical set up.

I can asure you, as a rule I do my homework before making such a major purchase. This perticular situation is a fluke. As are all those repeat post.

I wasn't sure if they were posting, so I reposted, as I was conversing with Boa, he lives close by in the same city as myself. I was looking for someone who knows systems and enjoys music and movies, played on quality equipment. bla bla bla.

Any information you care to share would be accepted. As I know very little. After listening to the RF-7s for 2 weeks now, they are very nice. The ALtecs despite their age, are only shades behind the RF-7s in sound. Very light shades, but the RF-7s are still better, brighter I'd say & a bit clearer.

The Yamaha RX-V3000 was part of the managements compensation fro my trouble, upgrade me from a RX-V1200 to the RX-V3000 for a $100.00 difference. So I figured I find out later how good the 3000 really was.

A as we see I finding out all this after the fact.

I enjoy the hard metal rock as well as jazz. Most speakers will play jazz quite well with little effort. But the hard banging rock seems to get muddied up. I guess hard drivin rock is recorded messy???

I keep hearing about these Khorns are these better than the RF-7s? Never heard of them.

At any rate I will continue to gather data and visit the forum & give my .02 Thanks

ANYONE who kicks a cat (hard, I do it softly) has to answer to me for a swift and serious *** whooping!!!

I love my kitty kat. He (it, snip, snip) HAS kicked a 50 pound dogs *** big time. He is about 17 lbs. and was a former stray, so he remembers life on the street (well, probablt not). Yes, my cat either lays in a warm spot or in the middle of everything. Cats will get SO hot that their coat will actually smolder!

Anyway, enough with kitty's.

A complete Reference Series system would be nice. I dont even need the RSW-15, just the speakers. A leather Laz-E-Boy would be nice...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Von - "I keep hearing about these Khorns are these better than the RF-7s? Never heard of them."

Ohmygoshyes!!!! They have a sound that will transport you. You can see more about them here:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=15

Since you run a construction company, be sure to build nice corners into your buildings to put these things in Smile.gif.

Enjoy the RS-7s - nice!!

Doug

------------------

My System

von

Here is a review that you might wish to read:

http://www.stereotimes.com/Klipschorn_Speaker_System.htm

Here is what the innards look like:

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/misc/klipsch/khorncut.jpg

------------------

This message has been edited by lynnm on 03-08-2002 at 10:50 AM