Looking to Upgrade Surrounds and move to 7.1

chriskir

Here is my setup

-Epson 7500UB
-Carada 110" BW Screen
-Klipsch Icron VF-35 with matching Center
-Klipsch Quintet III Satellites for surround.
-Klipsch Sub 10.
-Onkyo TX-SR605.

Here is my dillema.

Moved into a new house and got myself a dedicated room to expand my HT. Room is 26 x 16. Fairly large area.
About 15ft back from screen with another 12ft of dead space behind me which is why I'm looking to upgrade surround with something a little more subtantial and move to 7.1

Any thoughts what would be good speakers to put in here? My goal is to fill the room with rich multi-channel sound regardless of where I'm at.

Budget to spend is 1000. Obviousl if I can do it for cheaper than that, it is preffered. Eventually I'll probably want to get a new power source since the Onkyo is rated at 90 x 7, but that is another story.

I've looked at the RB-51, 61 and seen some of the thigns people have done to mount these. Also the VS-14 is out there too which, while it is "matching" wonder if the Bookshelf will end up being the better surround in the end.

Perhaps my speakers are crossed over incorrectly, but it just seems that my sattelites are struggling given the room and drivers. Is this likely?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

If you want to match what you have, look at the VS-14's on the sides and VB-15's in the back.

EDIT, according to the sensitivity ratings of the surrounds you have and the matching surrounds I recomended, I may have led you in the wrong direction. The sensitivity on the Quintets is better than the VS-14's. You may need to look into another line.

You don't really need to go to 7.1 -- you just need some proper rear/surround speakers. The advantages of 7.1 over 5.1 really only show up for very large rooms. If you had a pair of VF-35s or VB-15s in the rear corner of the rooms then I seriosuly doubt you'd feel the need for 7.1 anymore.

Actually, you might also consider upgrading your front mains to VF-36s then moving the VF-35s to the rear.

Yeah, those Quintets just cannot keep up I'm sure. Get some proper Klipsch horns back in the corners of the room and it really fill the space.

With 25ft x 19ft room, my 5.1 setup (see below) works great. My rears are in the back corners of the room.