3802 Hiss

ellisfsu

i am running a pair of RF3II's as mains off of a denon 3802. My problem is that i am experiencing what i feel is an abnormal level of amplifier hiss. This hiss maintains a constant volume regardless of the amps volume setting. I need to admit that i am a treble junkie and usually have the treble setting of the 3802 at "6". should some hiss be expected with this treble setting running to the my highly efficient (and incredible) RF3II's? Thank you and please advise. By the way, i do hear the hiss in the other channels (my yet to be upgraded synergy series speakers) but not as loud.

I have a Denon 3300, and experience the same thing. When the volume is set to "--" (lowest setting), it is relatively quiet. As soon as I bump it to the first volume setting (-60) or higher, there is a low, steady hiss. It is noticeable especially when there is no source material playing. I attribute it to the somewhat noisy pre-amp section of the Denon and to the efficiency of the speakers (Chorus - 101 db/w/m). I have heard others comment on this with their Denon's, and I think it is typical of their pre-amps.

Doug

------------------

My System

Had a similar experience w/ an Integra receiver. The problem was finally resolved after the dealer replaced the unit with another, several generations newer. (note, authorized repairs at service centers did not help, quality interconnects were always utilized, etc.)

Symptoms experienced were hiss through all channels, regardless of input source, or even if the input was assigned or not. The noise became apparent as soon as the relative volume went from 0 to 1 and increased a much slower rate relative to the increase in volume - until reaching max, even when muted. The hiss was audible from seating position and extremely annoying. For the record, running KSF 8.5, synergy surroung and center.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not noticed an abnormally loud hiss from my Denon receiver, but it was there. Seems less after I routed the main pre out to a Rotel Amp. My 2 channel listening is often done via the "Direct" setting, so I bypass any extra circuitry on the tone controls. When the tone controls are available, they are always set to the "flat" position (tweleve o'clock). When I need to boost or subtract a frequency, I use the tape loop and an equalizer.

I do remember one time when there was a lot of hiss. That was when my goddaughter had turned up the treble and I was listening in 5 channel stereo mode. Even the B&Ws had an abnormal amount of hiss.

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10