Optical, Component, HDMI sound; Will I notice a huge difference?

Yawnny

Hey guys,

I currently have my all of my equipment running off Optical cables for sound, My AMP (Sony STR-DG720) Has 3 HDMI outputs but have not made use of any. My tv only has 2 HDMI inputs so I haven't really taken advantage of HDMI sound. Is HDMI sound quality a whole lot better than optical cable sound quality? Should I go out and buy some more HDMI cables to re-hook my equipment (X360, PS3, HDDVplayer(Old I know :P) ) ?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I currently have my all of my equipment running off Optical cables for sound, My AMP (Sony STR-DG720) Has 3 HDMI outputs but have not made use of any. My tv only has 2 HDMI inputs so I haven't really taken advantage of HDMI sound. Is HDMI sound quality a whole lot better than optical cable sound quality? Should I go out and buy some more HDMI cables to re-hook my equipment (X360, PS3, HDDVplayer(Old I know :P) ) ?

Thanks

Your receiver has 3 HDMI inputs, not outputs. You can run your XBox, PS3 and HD-DVD player all into your receiver using HDMI and use a single HDMI cable from your receiver to your TV. http://www.monoprice.com is the place to buy HDMI cables and you should be able to buy the 4 HDMI cables for about $30 including shipping.

According to the manual for your Sony, it does accept Multi-Channel PCM over HDMI. What that means is that even though your receiver doesn't internally decode sound formats such as TrueHD, DTS-Master, etc, if you send your receiver a Linear PCM signal through HDMI you will still be hearing the latest sound formats and your XBox, PS3 and HD-DVD player will be transmitting the HD audio formats.

For $30, it is well worth it. Generally picture quality will improve with HDMI over component as well. There's really no reason not to do it.

I total agree with Wuzzzer that HDMI from Monoprice is the way to go. I noticed a very good improvement in sound quality and an even bigger improvement in HD picture quality ( vs. component). Even my non audio/videophile wife commented on the difference in the "sharpness" of the picture when I A/B'd component vs. HDMI. Spend the little bit of money for Monoprice HDMI's remove the ratsnest of other cables and don't look back....

Getting the HDMI cords is no prob, I am already using HDMI cords for my ps3, and 360 for the video, and running an optical cable from each of the systems in to my amp for the audio.

My question is this.

Once I re-direct my HDMI cords and plug them all in to my amp, then have the one HDMI out cord running from my amp to my tv, is the video all going to be running off of one channel? Will switching audio between the systems be the same deal as before only now all the video is on one channel?

I know these are extremely noobish questions, thanks for all the patience guys.

Instead of having to switch inputs on both your TV and receiver, if you use HDMI for video and audio for all your devices and then run a single HDMI cable from your receiver to your TV, you'll only have to switch inputs on your receiver.

Alright I got my PS3 hooked up via HDMI sound, and it sounds great, very crisp. However, when I try to hook up my X360 via HDMI sound the audio switches to primarily 2 channel it seems? when I play music through the 360 when it is hooked up all through HDMI it's really only coming out of the 2 front speakers, yet when the 360 is hooked up via Optical Cable The music booms out the center, and all around.

Is the 360 just not made for HDMI sound? if not it's no big deal, it works really fantastic on my PS3, and thats my main device I cared about running HDMI Audio.

(NEW)

upon further research it could just be the X360?

Make sure your XBox is set to Linear PCM and not to Bitstream audio.

Your receiver will let you choose from different sound formats when you're listening to different sources. You should be able to choose from Stereo, MultiChannel Stereo, Dolby Digital, Theater, etc. Which stereo/surround mode you're listening in will affect which speakers are active.

Alrighty I finally have my RB-61's set up and they sound stellar. I'm very happy with them!

I switched my PS3 recently do HDMI sound and think I hear a crisper difference? one question though, when using HDMI sound does it seperate the sound differently than say Optical Sound? It seems like the center is being used a lot more, and the bookshelves a lot less.. Could just be my imagination though [:|]

If you're using your PS3 and watching a Blu-Ray disc you should be hearing the HD audio formats which are mixed differently than the standard Dolby Digital and DTS tracks. I don't find it unusual that you're hearing what you're hearing. TrueHD, DTS-Master, etc have a much more detailed and dynamic sound to my ears. I love the new HD audio formats.

Just to clarify....

HDMI VS. optical there is no difference in quality, both are digital. The difference is HDMI can carry the new HD audio formats that optical cannot. And HDMI can carry both audio and video in digital in one cable. If you're doing 5.1 audio then there is no difference between HDMI and optical other than one cable VS. two cables.