Forte/Forte II VS. KLF series?

Tim Currie

Just curious here....

How do you feel the KLF 20's & 30's compare to the Fortes? Just wondering if people think the tower design with 2 woofers is better/worse than the Fortes with the big 12" and passive radiator? Since both are 3-way designs so I figure the mid and highs are close enough. Fortes have much deeper bass? KLF's hit harder?

I'm not certain that the mid and highs would be directly comparable either. The Forte II does have a tractrix midrange horn. I imagine that will change the sound compare to the Forte and the KLF series. Unfortunately, I have no first hand experience with either of them. Though, I would jump on the chance to listen to any of them. I'm sure someone can chime in with some direct comparisons.

Daniel

Just curious here....

How do you feel the KLF 20's & 30's compare to the Fortes? Just wondering if people think the tower design with 2 woofers is better/worse than the Fortes with the big 12" and passive radiator? Since both are 3-way designs so I figure the mid and highs are close enough. Fortes have much deeper bass? KLF's hit harder?

Hi Tim,

I own a pair of highly modified Forte's.

Below is a link to my thread on AK that has received some 26,000 views. If you scroll down you'll see the latest pictures of my outboard crossovers along with my thoughts about the KLF20 and KLF30.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159340&page=12

If I had to do it over I would do the KLF20's as they would be considerably less expensive to modify using the same quailty parts as my Fortes.

I haven't heard either of the KLF's so I can't really comment on their sound but I know they are capable.

As to the Forte's and Forte II's I think I would chose the Forte's due to what some have told me is an elevated midrange in the Forte II's.

As to my Forte's sound, I have owned many speakers in my 35 yrs of audio and none have given me more pleasure then the Fortes modified as I have done.

I think of them as Super Charged and as one person put it they may be the best sounding Fortes in the world. After hearing the Klipsch Palladium P-39F's I had a smile on my face. As my investment was 1/10 of the 39's.

I have been told that the Bass of my Fortes is like no Forte they have ever heard. It is pretty tight. Perhaps one of the best passives I have ever heard. The bass is strong enough that people often ask me where the sub woofers are!

The Forte's have been for me like the famous horse Seabiscuit "the little guy that thinks he's the biggest horse out there"

In the end I found the crossovers are one of the most neglected things in a speaker and are not to be taken for granted. You can find upgraded after market crossovers but nothing like these!

Of course everything in the audio chain is relevent IMO.

Cheers

SET12

SET12,

Wow that is crazy! I would love to hear those mods.

Thanks seti,

I wish you could to! Duelund was an amazing man I think. He passed away recently, he spent his life in search of the best sounding materials and I think he achieved many of his goals. Though some of his products are outrageously expensive but they are worth every penny! His resistors with North Creeks 8 AWG tweeter inductor have been just amazing with Bob Crites Titanium tweeters. And I can't say enough about the 8 AWG North Creek Inductors either! Bass on the Fortes is just like an Iron fist with substantial warmth.

Consider this! The large inductors are $500 a pair. One could buy a sub! But I'd rather have what these do from 30hz to 700hz cause a sub is only good typically to 100hz. After experianceing these inductors I for one don't care to give up what I hear from 100hz to 700hz! to this day friends still turn to me and ask "where did that come from?"

Been a while since I have been here, see pictures below

Cheers

SET12

Performance has been has been my goal, which surpassed my imagination of what is possible.

This is the latest version with Duelund VSF Copper Foil Cap and Duelund Graphite Tweeter Resistor

Far superior to any resistors I have heard by a long shot. And these aren't even in series!

Forte Crossover Replacement

The Brawn of this crossover is every bit as it looks in contrast to the stock network.

Nothing was changed to speak of but the quality is heard and felt.

sd530025vq8.jpg

In the end no doubt many Klipsch owners can benefit from mods like these.

I for one could never live again with anemic sounding stock networks after experiencing these!

So Tim if you have an interest in the KLF's, the KLF20's are the ticket at a substantial savings over the KLF30's

for modification. My gut feeling is the Fortes modified as I have done would easily boot either of the KLF's within the

Forte's working SPL range. Volume for volume, watt vs watt and if your interested in any of these for modifying

I do have the schematics for all. It's amazing how much the networks come into play!

Cheers

SET12