I just returned from RMAF 2009 in Denver - I am enjoying my Klipsch/Altec System more than anything I heard there.............

Cut-Throat

I am currently playing the same CD that I brought along and played on many, many Megabuck Systems. Cheap Amps were $8K, Cheap Speakers were $10K - They must just sell this stuff to Sports Stars. They had plenty of Cables there that cost more than my entire System - Which is $7K for Everything including my Tuner! And there may have been only 1 System that I heard at the Denver show that I would enjoy more than mine, and that I have described in Best Sound Pick.

My opinion Best Of Show Picks were:

1.) Best Sound Bar None at any price

Acapella High Violon MKIV Speakers powered by Einstein OTL Amps.
Speakers were $68K and Amps were $33K for a pair. There was nothing
even close to as musical, as was the sound of this system. Yes well
over $100K

2.) Best Value/Sound Hi-Eff Speakers (Remember Klipsch did not have a room at this show)

Classic Audio
Reproductions T-3.3 Project Horn Speakers. At less than $15K these
speakers were a deal. Exquisite woodwork and Glorious Sound. If these
were in the Levinson Room the speakers would have cost $75k Easily.

3.) Best Value Room and Best sound in a small room.

Grant
Fidelity: A display of All Chinese made Integrated Amplifiers, that had
build quality second to none and superb sound. Most components under
$3K. Example Remote Controlled 300B stereo amp that was beautiful to
look at, lovely sound and a remote control that was nicer to hold than
any I've ever seen. $1750 without tubes. Speakers with gorgeous wood
work and sound and prices that shamed the competition.

4.) Worst Value Room:

Audio Note

I listened to a pair of ordinary Box speakers (AN-E SEC Signature) that
were about 3 feet high that retailed for $51,000 that would have been
over priced at $5,100. Why anyone would buy these when you could get a
pair of Classic Audio Reproductions T-3.3 Project for less than $15K
that would make the Audio Note speakers sound like Boom Boxes. Most any
Horn speaker driven by proper amplification would be far superior than
these ordinary box speakers. Amps for $185K - GMAFB !!

Audio Note - The Emperor has no clothes!

5.) Biggest WOW Room

Levinson
- JBL room - This was the biggest room, but it had nothing to do with
home audio - This was pure theater and could produce sounds that no
musical group that I've ever heard could produce. Certainly impressive
in Size - The components alone had to weigh more than 10 tons and could
destroy your hearing in 1 session! The cost of cables alone probably
exceeded over $100K

Oh no, more fuel for the Grant Fidelity machine!

As great as his products may be(or not), as I have not heard them, his dealings and comments on a Canadian Audio Forum, have left many up here with a less than favorable impression of the man and his people skills.

Grant-ed there were a few that provoked him, but the responses were not those of a well balanced man and then he used his Sponsor status, to erase any record of his many off the rails meltdowns, which included very insulting comments to all, not just those whom he was having "issues" with.

Apologies were not issued, even to non-offending parties and he plays like those comments were never made, since there is no remaining record of them to the average, non screengrabbin' public/potential customer.

I hear great things about the gear and don't care about the country of origin, if it is made with quality and workers treated and compensated fairly, by that countries standards.

Believe it or not, I have no major beef with him myself, however fear that positive reviews, may continue to give him the impression that his dealings with the public aren't every bit as important as his products.

I had never heard of him until this weekend. However, I must say in person he was one of the most helpful and pleasant people that we dealt with at the show. Internet Forums don't always portray an individual accurately. He was most accomodating to the listeners in the room and would hook up any amp to any speaker that he had and play the CDs that you brought. He answered all of our questions with dignity and no "attitude".

A very nice man was my impression.

The gear he had there was damn good stuff at a damn good price!

Nice wrap-up, Cut-Throat! I didn't realize it was so hoity-toity at the RMAF. It would have been a kick (if I'd been there) to see a HIFI On The Cheap room, with garage sale finds, DIY projects, vintage rehabs, thrift store records. Not much money in that, though. Something like The Maker Faire, where hands-on innovation is showcased. That beautiful high-end stuff is fun to see, too...

Cut---

I've always loved Audio Note's approach to the industry so I'm disappointed you didnt like their room. The only thing about Audio Note is they have a somewhat odd value curve. Their cheap DIY kit stuff has the best price performance. The more expensive stuff is mostly for ego gratification but it sounds better than the cheap stuff. To my ears the stereo 300B amp kit sounds better than any of the current Levinson amps -- but I like the ML2...

Cut-Throat,

Thanks for your review. I too was able to attend since the show was here in Denver. I did not pay much attention to the source electronics only speakers, but here is my take.

Best horn loaded system:

1st)The JBL Everest DD66000, effortless dynamics, lots of tight bass, grat mid and high end. the mid and high are both Be. The JBL room was lind of a ringer. they had spent quite a bit of time taming the room and had some really good recordings that they were also selling that were done with four mics and used no compression.

2nd)The classic audio Reproductions T1.3. Kind of a stange beast with a 15" wood mid horn, and super tweeter with a second 15" down firing onto a parabolic reflector. Same basic comments as above, effortless high quality sound. they were playing a music video with a featuring a woman playing a harp and singing irish sounding songs, (no luck finding it on amazon)

3rd) Orinda Acoustics Symphony Three, A 10" three way using a fostex super tweeter 2" mid driver and what looks to be a lathe turned tractrix type horn. The company used to be called Sunny Cable but moved overseas and changed the name. Very, very nice sound out of these, hard to believe they only had 10's. Unfortunately he had trouble with his source equipment and was not arround much.

4th) Serious Stereo's, transmission line loaded Altec 604's. Same comments as above, very large boxes, very dynamic, lots of deep tight bass.

5th) Acapella Violon Mk IV, very, very good mid and high, a little lacking in bass. The ion tweeter is superb however.

Cut-Throat,

Thanks for your review. I too was able to attend since the show was here in Denver. I did not pay much attention to the source electronics only speakers, but here is my take.

Best horn loaded system:

1st)The JBL Everest DD66000, effortless dynamics, lots of tight bass, grat mid and high end. the mid and high are both Be. The JBL room was lind of a ringer. they had spent quite a bit of time taming the room and had some really good recordings that they were also selling that were done with four mics and used no compression.

2nd)The classic audio Reproductions T1.3. Kind of a stange beast with a 15" wood mid horn, and super tweeter with a second 15" down firing onto a parabolic reflector. Same basic comments as above, effortless high quality sound. they were playing a music video with a featuring a woman playing a harp and singing irish sounding songs, (no luck finding it on amazon)

3rd) Orinda Acoustics Symphony Three, A 10" three way using a fostex super tweeter 2" mid driver and what looks to be a lathe turned tractrix type horn. The company used to be called Sunny Cable but moved overseas and changed the name. Very, very nice sound out of these, hard to believe they only had 10's. Unfortunately he had trouble with his source equipment and was not arround much.

4th) Serious Stereo's, transmission line loaded Altec 604's. Same comments as above, very large boxes, very dynamic, lots of deep tight bass.

5th) Acapella Violon Mk IV, very, very good mid and high, a little lacking in bass. The ion tweeter is superb however.

I liked the JBL room also, but I did not rank it because it was always playing 4 Channel Music, with 4 Speakers. I asked them to hook up the JBLs to a Stereo amp and they refused. Since this is a 2 Channel Forum, I thought I would not rank them.They had 4 huge speakers playing all the time. All the other systems I ranked were 2 channel only. I did give them the Biggest WOW Factor. --- But I think you would tire of the Dynamics after an hour and it would be a bit grating.

I can see where you are coming from on your list and agree that the Acapella Violon do not have the Bass that other systems have, but they had the most sublime Mids and Highs I have ever heard, and that is where about 98% of the music comes from. If they added more bass it would probably destroy the music. Too me, they did not WOW you like the JBL room did. But I'll take them any day to listen to music for a couple hours.The JBL room would fatigue me in about 1/2 hour.

Ranking the Altec Serious Stereo speakers above the Acapell's tells me that you were listening for Bass I could not live with these boomy sounding speakers. I wish I could because they were only $15k, The Acapellas were $68K - I wish it were the reverse. I'd order a pair of Acapellas tonight. Otherwise top picks are similar, but in a very different order.