Sub Help!

holtrp

I currently have a Velodyne SPL 1200R in my set up. The sub sounds pretty good, but I could certainly use more SPL's from a bigger more powerful sub because the room is much larger than the sub is designed for. Living room is attached to the kitchen and entryway with 9' ceilings throughout. So for a while, I have just been thinking about getting another Velodyne SPL-1200R up front to balance out the front (one just came up on Ebay for $700) but now I am getting cold feet and the upgrade bug is buzzing around my head. I think the whole system would benefit from a better sub rather than two middle of the road subs.

I have been reading about the JL F113, the Velo DD-18 and the RSW-15 which all get great marks. I have heard the JL f113 and f112 and both of them sounded amazing, but haven't heard the DD-18 or the RSW-15.

Sorry, I know this debate has been raging and I have read quite a bit on these boards about the JL-F113, I was just hoping some of you would have some thoughts about what is going to sound best in a larger room.

Thanks!

Well, I would like to be able to keep it in the corner where my SPL is. Unless the foot print of the new sub is much over 40"x40" I should be fine, mostly just for WAF. I would prefer flat black to match the RF-83's but gloss black would be fine. I would like to keep it under $3k. Audiogon has some good deals right now on the aformentioned subs that are in the ballpark.

I was thinking about it a little more from a user interface standpoint and it hit me that I absolutely detest the Velo SPL interface, it has a weak remote and blinky light that tells you the volume. I would much prefer something with a better interface with knobs or a LED panel. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind playing with it to set it up, just if it were easier to change settings from movies to music and slight volume changes would be nice.