Porting my Heresy's

Invidiosulus

Through the tweeter no less!

Since my current config leaves nothing in the Heresy's lack of bass bin other than the K-22 it got me thinking about using the currently plugged tweeter cutout as the opening for a port.

A quick entry of the box size and woofer params into winisd shows that in theory with a 4cm x 10cm port about 9cm long i should have an F3 of about 50Hz instead of the sealed boxes 65Hz.

heresy_tractrix01.jpg

Here's what it looks like right now.

It should be really easy to make a screw in port to replace the tweeter block off plate.

Thoughts???

-Josh

Dave,

You mean actually Decreased?

It does seem to have a little bit more low end now.

I'm probably going to measure the inside of the Heresy's and build the wooden ports based on the actual interior volume.

Right now I think the size is a a little off due to the thickness of the cardboard.

I really love the sound with this midrange.

It is much much more open sounding than the K55/K700 combo.

With this setup it is so much easier to hear things that are not in the front of the mix.

Electric guitars and sharp midrange instruments sound natural and not honky through a tunnel.

I'm not sure how much of the change is due to the horn and how much is from the driver.

I've thought about building an enlarged back panel that would give me more interior volume but I really might as well build new cabs at that point. or not.

I really like the looks of your lilscala and with my current midrange the bass bin wouldn't have to reach as far north.

I think one could figure the size box needed ala DJK's bass mod for the lascala to help increase the bass response as well.

-Josh

Guest David H

Here are the specs on the KP-250, I realize not apples and apples, just seems to me the cab is too small to benefit from being ported, but if it sounds better more power to you.

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 70Hz - 20kHz(+-)4dB (-10dB @ 55Hz) @ 3 meters, 1/2 space anechoic
POWER HANDLING 250 watts (38.7V)
SENSITIVITY 102dB @ 2.83V, 1 meter, 1/2 space anechoic
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms, 6 ohms minimum @ 8kHz
MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT 125dB
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 700Hz and 6kHz
COVERAGE ANGLE 90(o) Horizontal x 60(o) Vertical
DIRECTIVITY INDEX 8dB (+-)2dB
INPUT CONNECTIONS Red/black five-way binding posts and Neutrik Speakon® NL-4
DIMENSIONS 21.8" (55.4cm) x 15.875" (40.5cm) x 13.25" (33.6cm)
WEIGHT 49 lbs. (22.3kg)
BUILT FROM 2001
BUILT UNTIL 2004