Sub For Music Only.....

SWL

Right now I have my subs hooked up from the pre-outs of my two-channel preamp (music only).

What is the difference, if there is one, hooking it up this way compared to hooking it up through the speaker connections on the back of the sub?

My intent is two-channel music listening only.

Thanks guys,

-Scott.

Ok, if it is a LFE pre-out the signal will be driven internally by the setup of the receiver. Small or Large setting on main speakers etc. If you run line level to the sub then to the main you are sending a full signal and allowing the Subwoofer crossover to decide what it get's and doesn't get. The full signal is then passed through to the Mains.

Guest David H

Hooking it up with RCA's is my preferred method. Using the line level input through the sub will probably pass the signal through a filter to reduce the lf bass to your main speakers, and in many cases the filters are low quality.

. Using the line level input through the sub will probably pass the signal through a filter to reduce the lf bass to your main speakers, and in many cases the filters are low quality.

Interesting.

My goal is to make the subs as musical as possible. Deep bass is gonna happen no matter what with these subs. Using the RCA connections and the subs crossed over all the way up is working pretty darn well.....just have to keep the gain under control to avoid boomy bass.

Guest David H

If you are running the crossover full, I assume you are using LFE on your receiver, if not you would be crossing the subs in the 150 to 200 Hz range.

My point about the passive was directed at quality of the filter not the amount of bass. The RCA connection will provide better quality.

Right now I have my subs hooked up from the pre-outs of my two-channel preamp (music only).

What is the difference, if there is one, hooking it up this way compared to hooking it up through the speaker connections on the back of the sub?

Thanks guys,

-Scott.

First, there is no such thing as a music sub or a theater sub. Just good ones and bad ones.

Since Scott is driving the subs with his 2-channel preamp outputs, he has no LFE and no filtering in the preamp for the mains.

Run this way, the mains may well have significant output at some of the same frequencies the subwoofer is producing. This WILL cause a bump in the resonse and may sound boomy to you. If you know enough about your mains you can set the low pass of the sub at the frequency the mains roll off and reduce the "boom".

You can solve this problem by running the speaker outs through the sub. The sub amp will then put a high pass filter on the mains that matches the low pass you select. The filters will help you control the overlap and sub output to eliminate extra output you may hear as "boom". That is what I do with my 2-channel bookshelf system.

you can set the low pass of the sub at the frequency the mains roll off and reduce the "boom".

Thanks John,

I know that my RF-7's go down to 32hz.......but how do I know the frequency that the mains roll off at? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm unclear as to what "roll off" means in this situation.

you can set the low pass of the sub at the frequency the mains roll off and reduce the "boom".

Thanks John,

I know that my RF-7's go down to 32hz.......but how do I know the frequency that the mains roll off at? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm unclear as to what "roll off" means in this situation.

LOL! If you have RF-7s and they get down to 32 Hz in your room,you don't need a sub for music. The open E on a bass (electric or acoustic) is 41 Hz. The lowest common organ pedal note is 32 (32.2?) Hz. The lowest note I know of in a song is a 22 Hz synthesizer note in the "Titanic" theme, "My Heart Will Go On".

If you really want to use a sub, it should be a MONSTER capable of response below 20 Hz and I'd set the crossover at 40 Hz.

If you have RF-7s and they get down to 32 Hz in your room,you don't need a sub for music

Four subs in addition to the RF-7's give me more of what I already have. RF-7's on steroids if you will. [:D]

your actual in room response is down to 32 Hz, kinda doubt it...

bet it rools off closer to 40 Hz

John is right about the first harmonic, as usual, but additional harmonics go deeper-

and powered subs provide more energy for the deepest notes, not just in music, but also for movies

which makes a BIG improvement in HT system

get any snow lately?

Thanks John,

LOL! If you have RF-7s and they get down to 32 Hz in your room,you don't need a sub for music. The open E on a bass (electric or acoustic) is 41 Hz. The lowest common organ pedal note is 32 (32.2?) Hz. The lowest note I know of in a song is a 22 Hz synthesizer note in the "Titanic" theme, "My Heart Will Go On".

If you really want to use a sub, it should be a MONSTER capable of response below 20 Hz and I'd set the crossover at 40 Hz.

I guess it would depend on the type of music you listen to, but some genres of music have *way* different demands on the low end. I have measured some bass below 10 hz in music... and trust me if you have the means to reproduce it, it can be a 'moving' experience.

Bassotronics - Bass, I love you... has some wicked low stuff.... granted this is a 'special effect' type recording for bassheads.

Overall, most 'pop' music has nothing below about 35 hz. Surprisingly there can be some exceptions to the rule... when it comes to good low bass in music.

Detuned 6 strings get pretty low, and some recordings have used a product to 'create' bass an octave below what is naturally occuring.

Thanks guys,

-Scott.

This is what Velodyne says about my F-1500's: "If your processor has a 'subwoofer out' jack on it, in most cases it is best not to use it for connecting your Velodyne. By do so, you will be combining the cross-over of he Velodyne with the cross-over of the processor. This can result in low gain and increased noise. Instead, we suggest that you connect your Velodyne between the main or front speaker outputs of your processor and the amplifier that will drive them. This will generally give you the best results."

Frank

powered subs provide more energy

Good description, Colin. I'm looking to enhance the speaker's output in any way possible with subs.......mid-bass in particular. Bass music and movies can pressurize a room like you wouldn't believe with these SVS subs.......but I'm not really into that stuff anymore. Mostly rock and live recordings. When I want to get away from those poor recordings I listen to a lot of smooth jazz. They sound excellent. [:D]

.......No snow yet, just rain. [um]