Cardas Binding Posts on older Heresy's?

I have a pair of '76 Heresy's and was wondering if anybody has replaced the old stock biinding posts on their Heresy's to something else? More specifically, would the Cardas CCBP S or Cardas HCBP L binding posts work? I think I have found them cheaper but can't remember where.

I would really like to be able to uses banana plugs if I can, so would appreciate all comments. If they are doable, can an ordinary idiot (such as myself) do the installation?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

I replaced the barrier strips on my Heresys with flush mounted binding posts. Nothing to stick out and get damaged or damage something else.

IMHO banana plugs are attractive but problematic. The problem is that it is hard to get a reliable, solid connection with them. They also stick out and are susceptible to damage. If you go with banana plugs, I suggest you get the kind that can be locked in place.

As far as the binding posts you are looking at, if you can use a drill and solder you ought to be able to do it with little trouble. The barrier strips you have now are held in place by just two screws. Remove the back of the speaker. Remove the barrier strips with a small wrench, nutdriver, or socket and fill the holes. Then drill holes for the new ones wherever you want, and install. Looks like you'll want the long ones because of the thickness of the back panel. If you don't want to solder the connections, you can terminate the cable between the binding posts and the crossover network with appropriate size ring terminals and use the mounting nuts to hold them in place, just like Klipsch did originally. If you use flush mount posts like I did, you'll need a jig saw or something else to cut the square opening for them.

Cardas is nice and respected. Something around $4 a pair will probably work as well.

Sorry, no pictures right now. Basically, they look like most modern speakers, 5 way binding posts in a recessed cup. I mounted them in the lower center part of the back panel.

As you can probably guess, I went the $4 route. Check what is available at www.partsexpress.com. They have many styles. For that matter, your local Radio Shack dealer probably has some. They are certainly not as nice manufactured or tricked out as the Cardas binding posts. But, they do the job. But then, the original barrier strips did, too.

Mike, go with the binding posts for spades as it is a MUCH better connection! Banana posts are easier to use but not half as good a connection as the posts with spades or bare wire. 5 way binding posts are the most superior by far. No comparison.

kh

ps- DIYCable has exceeded its bandwidth! What a bummer. Almost 2 million hits.

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Thanks for the replys, guys!

Mobile - Are you saying to go with a 5-way binding post but use the spade connector to the post versus the banana plug? BTW, when will the DIYcable website be back up? Also, did you get my Email regarding the DIYcable IC's and speaker wire?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I have to second that on 5 way binding posts with lugs. Rings or spades,whichever, you want an air tight connection to prevent oxidation. Oxidation causes degradation in the connection causing loss of signal. Use of a contact enhancer in addition will help to prevent oxidation. Personally I use Cramolin, but there are many to choose from.

The stock Klipsch barrier stips do limit ones ability to use heavier speaker cable.

Hope this helps.