About choosing suitable gauge speaker cable for my quintet IV

Heyopenit

I am now using quintet IV with 18 gauge speaker cable (the sales suggest me), I am considering whether worth to spend on changing thicker speaker cable.

Actually any noticeable different between using 18 gauge speaker cable and 14 gauge speaker cable for quintet 5.0 system?

probably no audiable difference. the only benefit you would have, is your AVR/ Amp wouldn't have to work as hard to push the current through. (that is if the wire runs are long). an easy way to tell if your equipement is working hard is touch the wire. if the cable is hot, it's working too hard. but i seriously dought that would happen.

When going up two sizes, in this case from 18 gauge to 14 gauge, there should be some improvement in the realism of transients, like drumbeats, trumpet blasts, handclaps and the like. Generic 14 gauge wire is not expensive, especially the Home Depot stuff, so I'd definitely go for it. It won't cost much to see for yourself what difference it makes.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this is still quite high in Google's page rankings for "Klipsch Quintet IV".

I've been using 16 gauge stranded wire from radio shack on my Quintet IV's with gold banana plugs. (25ft length on all front and rears, and 10ft on center).

Are there really any advantages to going to 14 or 12 gauge with these speakers? I've heard the Quintet IV's are very efficient and don't require much. and is cross-talk really an issue with stranded cables?

I'm just not sure I can justify $50-$100 in speaker wire from that bluejeanscable site that audiophiles seem to praise so much, so I'm wondering what the real advantages would be.

i'm running RF-5's and an RC-7, about 20+ feet, on 8 twisted strands (4 for each +/-) of 24AWG, or 18AWG per post. I hear nothing but blissful dynamics at all and nothing is melting downor imploding.

are you noticing any issues or poor sound? If not, i can't imagine any scenario where changing the wires in your setup is justified.