HDMI pre-amps? Pondering upgrading.

wuzzzer

Projecting ahead a few months and planning on doing some upgrades. I'd like to go the separates route and would like some advice and assistance.

Option 1) Keep everything I currently have and purchase a 2 or 5 channel amp. I'd be using the Marantz as a pre-amp and more than likely purchasing an Emotiva amp or equivalent. I can't really use a center speaker with my configuration so I'm leaning more towards a 2 channel amp for the fronts and having the surrounds powered by my receiver.

Option 2) Sell the Marantz and replace it with a pre-amp that accepts Multi-Channel PCM over HDMI. What brands and models are out there that do this? Price range? I would also purchase a multi-channel amp, again from Emovita or the like.

Option 3) Sell the Marantz and purchase an inexpensive receiver accepting Multi-Channel PCM over HDMI to use as a pre-amp, adding a multi-channel amp.

Option 1 would be the least expensive route and the easiest upgrade to make.

Option 2 would probably yield the best performance and sound quality of the 3 but would definitely be the most expensive.

Option 3 worries me because I'm thinking a very inexpensive receiver as a pre-amp is going to be a downgrade from what I currently have.

If your current Marantz has all the hook ups that you need then I would go for "Option 1". This way you can see the difference the external amp makes and still decide if this is the route that you want to go. Then you can upgrade a little time later, add the second external amp next then the pre. That way you can just use the receiver as the pre until you find something that you like or the Emotiva pre comes out, whenever that is......

James

I'd go option one, although I was torn between option one and two. If you're not getting the new sound formats, you're really missing out on a step up in sound quality. Option one will set you up for your future pre-pro purchase but unless your receiver is terribly underpowered, you won't see an improvement in normal listening. Once you get to reference level however, there should be an improvement with the stouter amps.

If your current Marantz has all the hook ups that you need then I would go for "Option 1". This way you can see the difference the external amp makes and still decide if this is the route that you want to go. Then you can upgrade a little time later, add the second external amp next then the pre. That way you can just use the receiver as the pre until you find something that you like or the Emotiva pre comes out, whenever that is......

James

Good points, James. The Marantz does have 4 HDMI in and 1 out, accepts Multi-Channel PCM over HDMI and fits nicely underneath my TV stand, everything that I need in a receiver and more. I do a lot of 2 channel listening at high SPL levels and want the external amp for extra punch and headroom.

I'd go option one, although I was torn between option one and two. If you're not getting the new sound formats, you're really missing out on a step up in sound quality. Option one will set you up for your future pre-pro purchase but unless your receiver is terribly underpowered, you won't see an improvement in normal listening. Once you get to reference level however, there should be an improvement with the stouter amps.

Thanks CEC. If I did get a dedicated pre-amp I would definitely get one that would be compatible with HD audio formats.

The Marantz is rated at 110 x 7.

I think what I might do is look for a Marantz SR8001 for now. It upgrades to a torroidal power transformer, a 125 x 7 amp, 4 HDMI in/2 out, copper plated chassis (not sure the advantage of that though). From what I've seen them selling for I could spend about $100-150 from what I could get for my 7001 to upgrade to the 8001.