RPW10 Sub

Mudkicker

Hi,

I have an RPW10 hooked up to Marantz SR4002. I find that this sub is very good for home theatre, i am very pleased with it. However, when listening to music in stereo with the subwoofer, it just does not sound right. Its hard to explain but it is like the subwoofer cannot keep up with the fast beats of the music and the bass does not sound distict....like it cannot play every bass not clearly. Sounds messy or sloppy.

Is it simply because this particular sub was designed for home theatre and not music?

thanks

M

my xover is set to 80 Hz and the phase is set to 0 degrees.

the HPF on the Marantz is set to 80 therefore i set the LPF on the subwoofer to 80. However, sometimes when i listen in stereo, i change the setting for my Fronts from "small" to "large" and in that case the speakers are full range and the subwoofer remains set to 80.

thanks

the HPF on the Marantz is set to 80 therefore i set the LPF on the subwoofer to 80. However, sometimes when i listen in stereo, i change the setting for my Fronts from "small" to "large" and in that case the speakers are full range and the subwoofer remains set to 80.

thanks

Setting your speakers from small to large and then listening to anything that doesn't have a .1 LFE track will generally disable the sub altogether, unless you have the subwoofer set to play along with your mains when you change your mains to Large in your receiver's setup menu.

Set your sub's crossover as high as it will go on the sub itself, generally 120-150Hz. Let your receiver do the crossover setting so you aren't doubling up on it.

• 1 month later...

thanks

Setting your speakers from small to large and then listening to anything that doesn't have a .1 LFE track will generally disable the sub altogether, unless you have the subwoofer set to play along with your mains when you change your mains to Large in your receiver's setup menu.

Set your sub's crossover as high as it will go on the sub itself, generally 120-150Hz. Let your receiver do the crossover setting so you aren't doubling up on it.

Yes, when i listen to music in Stereo, i set my mains to Large and set my sub to play along with my mains(my Marantz has this option). My xover on my sub is set to 80Hz. So in this situation, my mains are full range which means that it will play all frequencies and my sub plays only frequencies of 80Hz and lower. So basically anything under 80Hz is being played by both my mains and sub simutaneously. Is this a bad thing?

thanks for any comments

Yes, its generally a bad thing. Your sub isn't playing a discrete channel like it would be in a 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack, so its bass is overlapping with your main speakers. In most rooms that will cause cancellation of bass frequencies and actually reduce the amount of bass. If you have a properly calibrated setup where you've adjusted phase, distance, SPL, etc. then you could run your fronts as Large. Otherwise I'd recommend running them as small.

Like I mentioned before, set your sub's crossover as high as it can go on the sub itself and set it to 80Hz on your receiver.

• 1 month later...

I have been playing around with my sub for a while now. Set all speakers to small, set xover on AVR to 80Hz and turned up the xover on the sub all the way up as suggested. I experimented with placement and the phase toggle switch. Like i mentioned before this sub is good when watching movies, cannot really complain, however when using for music in stereo it is very disppointing. Bass is not clean, nor tight. Its kinda muddy and boomy. I am setting up a dedicated 2.1 system and will definatley look elsewhere for a sub, need something musical.