How should I use my speakers?

mistermoravec

I'd vote for conventional 7.1 for now. 7.1 isn't even the surround standard yet, and anything beyond that with front wide or height speakers is simply being matrixed from the 5, 6, or 7.1 mix anyway.

Two S3s on the side and two behind you. Full 3 series all around, that's a pretty killer setup you have there!

thanks. from another forum it sounds as though the s3s aren't really designed as front wide/height speakers anyways. I was hoping to get more sound out of the front with them... I looked through my blu rays and most of them are 5.1 not 7.1 so I was thinking of not even setting up the 7.1...but with the speakers I now I have I think it may be best...I'll probably add additional f3s as widths and b3s as heighths down the road sometime.

I'm looking to buy two more floorstanding speakers to use as my wides. Should I get two more f3s or would it be better to buy two f2s to get a different range. From my understanding the wide speakers are simply matrixed from the standard front speakers, so my thought was to throw different speakers at it and try to pick up more sound...I really don't have a clue.

Matching up speakers within a surround-sound environment as closely as possible is the key to getting the best sound. F3s would be the best in that case.

Not sure what you mean by "my thought was to throw different speakers at it and try to pick up more sound" ?

m looking to buy two more floorstanding speakers to use as my wides.

What are "wides"? I'm not aware of any music or movie format that calls for 5 speakers across the front. Some receivers can power "presence" speakers, which would be located high on the wall above the main speakers, but not as far apart. These are meant to give height cues, not width cues, to the listener.

Multi-channel movies and music sounds are mixed with a specific layout in mind, so you'll get the best results with your speakers set up in the corresponding locations, as much as your room layout permits. The standard is called ITU-R, so you can Google that and see what you find.

Some info here: http://www.soundstage.com/surrounded/surrounded200307.htm

And here:
http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:Gdb5T6FidekJ:www.genelec-ht.com/documents/publications/PlacementandRoomAcousticsInteraction.pdf+ITU-R+speaker+placement&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiE0WBO3YQWZk8rUbdEUfTyfrGWF5Xybu2sdyDOv5f9YfvVqtgdVkpaJQmFaOP2ZMnalHNsahz8BZGlXa1kDlEC6G8zSAgXbpnl6hkW9080p0uhnQKe_QMVlYwnFuHTjrtgN4wJ&sig=AFQjCNGiWfTQ_X3lR0BtaLr9JCaTMZ8Z5A

I think you have a bad case of upgradeitis. You have the top-of-the-line Klipsch Synergy surround setup, a speaker setup better than a huge majority of earth's population, and you're looking for fuller sound?? [;)]

If you really want to kick things into high gear, check your local craigslist and eBay for Cornwalls, Fortes, Heresys, LaScalas, Klipschorns, etc, etc. Fuller sound abounds.