Hooking up the KA-1000 to a Onkyo SC886

Daveys

Hi,

Within a couple of days I will receive the KA-1000 to give my two KW-120's some power. I already took a look in the online manual of the KA-1000 but it gave me some questions after reading it. I've got a XLR and a RCA possibility on the Onkyo (as you can see in the picture below). I'm know using the XLR's in combination with Crowns XTI for the speakers. For the subs I would like to use the RCA connection.

My question is; in the manual is written; Use a shielded, high quality subwoofer interconnect cable of appropriate length with RCA plugs on each end. Figure 2 in the manual shows an optional "Y" jack connection. Why is this and do I need to make this "Y" connection? Is a subwoofer cable sufficient with 1 RCA at each end of the cable or is it better to have a cable with 1 RCA at one end and 2 RCA's at the other end?

Dave

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=58049.0;Back Onkyo

you would only need to use the y-cable if you were running the signal to two separate subs, or if your sub didnt have a dedicated single LFE in. it looks like the KA-1000 doesn't and instead has a dedicated L/R rca input. I just picked up a nice quality y-splitter (single female to dual male) from monoprice for cheap. This would allow you to run a single line out of the onkyo and send the signal to both channels on the KA-1000.

Hi thaddeussmith,

Tanks for your reply [Y]

So you would put a splitter on the L and the R RCA input and use 1 single subcable from the splitter to the Onkyo? Is this to use the subs as L & R subs because I don't want that. I would like both subs to work as one if that's possible.

Dave

• Klipsch Employees

You can' t mess up the KA-1000

the 1000's inputs are there for running R & L signal to the sub.

THe amp is mono only. If you use the "Y" adaptor, you will get about 6db more signal to the amp.

It will take 700mV of input to run the sub amp to full output.

In THX mode it will take 3 V to get the sub to full output.

BTW: full output is about 67 Volts.

• Klipsch Employees

Each sub cabinet comes with a wire to connect it to the amp.

You connect the sub out from the receiver to the amp line in (R & L, or Just R or Just L) then connect each speaker wire to the amp and to each of the subs.

All done.

They act like "one" sub connected this way.

Great. One subwoofer cable will do the trick then.

You wrote that If you use the “Y” adaptor, you will get about 6db more signal to the amp. Do you mean the "Y" adaptor on the amp or on the processor and will it give more power to the subs? Which connection will make it stereo and which will leave it mono?

Dave

Today the KA-1000 was delivered. I'm a happy man [:)].

I bought the Monster M1000 SW. It's almost a shame to connect it and not see it. It's a beauty to look at.

This weekend I will try with and without the "Y" adadpter. Now the sub cable is connected without.

Some pics I hope you guys will appreciate.

DSC05983.jpg?t=1257359933

DSC05967.jpg?t=1257360361

DSC05972.jpg?t=1257360410

DSC05973.jpg

DSC05975.jpg

DSC05974.jpg

I love mine. You will too.

The key to what Trey has said if I can malke it simple.

If you do not have a THX Ultra 2 pre amp, do NOT run it in THX mode.

That should keep the record straight.

Those with Sunfire pre amps will need a boost of some type. Look below to see what I did in my signature. It is amazing now..

First of all I must say that the KW-120 with the KA-1000 is a killer combination. The whole surround soundpicture looks upgraded. Maybe it's in my mind but a really hear it that way. Even the news on tv is very nice to listen to [H].

The Onkyo PR-SC886 is a THX Ultra2 Plus pre amp. At this moment I'm not running in THX mode but reading your answer I should run it.

I'm still trying to find out what the best settings are and with the KA-1000 it's not a punishment to do.

Indy, you have a very awesome set! Do you have a link with some pics? I would love to see some.

What did that SMS-1 for your subs and would you buy it at this moment when you didn't have it? I know it's on the market for a long time now so that's the reason I'm asking.

Thanks, Dave

After running the THX mode I don't have the punch that I had when I was not running the THX mode.

All speakers in the dB configuration are around 0dB (measured with a dB meter). I now raised the sub dB to +10 but I still don't get that nice punchy feeling. What am I doing wrong and why can't I boost the signal with the Onkyo?

My feeling is to get back to not running the THX mode but regarding to the manual as Indy I'm confused.

• Klipsch Employees

THX mode = no volume control, no filter and takes 3 volts to drive it to max output of 66 volts.

NON-THX mode = all controls work, the filter blocks 120 Hz and up unless set to a lower value. and only takes 0.75 volts to drive it to max output of 66 volts.

I tell eveyone to use NON - THX mode.

I completely agree. I've been playing with all settings in the Onkyo with the THX mode running but couldn't get to the level I get when the KA-1000 is in NON-THX mode. I have much more control over a much wider "punch range" if you guys know what I mean. I can get the punch at every level that I wish for.

The combo KA-1000/KW120's is the best I've experienced so far. I've placed them on different spots in the livingroom but it wasn't boomy or anything else that could be annoying with subs on all the different spots.

Thanks again Trey. I'm really enjoying the whole set [Y].