Klipsch Custom 3 Issues

rdass

Hi Guys,

I have a pair of custom 3 headphones. They're quite possibly the best pair of headphones i've ever had and I enjoy them a lot. I have however been having a lot of issues with the cable. I'm actually on my second pair, there seems to be this phenomenon where there are micro breaks in the cloth outer housing and the wire inside tends to bulge through these breaks, this seems to cause an extraordinary amount of stress on the cable and it breaks. Withe first pair, it took about 3 months for this to happen (i bought the head phones in april of this year and I had to return them in June) and I got this set in July and it's as if right on schedule 3 months later the same issue has happened again. I've lost the left channel already, the exact same thing happened. I'm almost at my wits end because i truly love these head phones. Should I just return them under the warranty and get a new pair of the custom 3's or should i get something different?

Any advice you can give is very much appreciated.

I've had a pair of C3's for maybe 2 years now. I use them when I'm outside working (mowing on tractor, using backhoe, landscaping, chainsaw...) and I also wear them under a pair of over ear, hearing protection muffs. I've taken them on a 3 week vacation. I take them off, put them inside the case and put my large Ipod in the same case with them.

I do not 'baby' them with the TLC that I've seen others (perhaps more retentive than myself?) use.

I have kinks up/down the cable. Now...as rough as I am with these things, I try to not be flagrant with the abuse.

All of that so you have an idea of where I'm coming from.

I too love their sound. Am I worried that I'll break the cord? I think I probably will break the cord one day. Therefore, I bought a SECOND pair of C3's and they are sitting in their box inside my desk so if the day I break these, I'll have a backup set available to me right away.

I've no idea how easy it might be to fix a broken cable. I've thought about wrapping the cable, perhaps with electrical tape.... dunk it in "plastic dip"...anything to help protect them. I've never done any of the above.

Only you can answer if you need to return them. I personally like them well enough that I got the backup pair for what I DO feel is going to be inevitable. I might point out though, given that I use mine while climbing on/off machinery, I'm EXPECTING to break the cord of ANY pair I might wear. It's one reason I always tuck the cord inside my clothing but....accident's happen.

Good luck with what ever you choose!

Just wanted to mention that I too have experienced the above with my Custom 3's. I'm on my 2nd pair in 10 months, with the right channel failing on my 1st pair after about 4 months of use. My 2nd pair is showing the same wear my first pair showed and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I have channel failure again. I use mine about 8 hours per week and I too keep the cord under my clothing. I'm convinced it's a design flaw, but Klipsch was fantastic with the replacement of my first pair, so I can't complain.

Jeff

Thanks very much for your responses guys. I was wondering if what I was doing was abonormal. The cable is under my clothes when i take the train and under my clothes when I work out. The Klipsch guys have been really good about the returns thus far. They sent me a prepaid label to return this pair.

I really love these head phones but I was beginning to wonder if there is an inherent flaw in the manufacturing process. Th cloth covering seems like a good idea but i think in the end it's causing more trouble than it is solving, atleast for me anyway. It is however good to know that other people have not babied the headphones and they have stood up well.

I would say that on average I used to use the head phones 4 - 5 hours a day but both times the left channel failed and listening to one channel was quite diorienting. Hopefully I'll get my replaement pair soon and as improbable as it was to get two faulty sets hopfully this is the last I have to deal with this problem.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this post as there doesn't seem to be a lot of other web chatter about this issue out there.

I have the exact same issue with a pair of Custom 2s I purchased in December 09. Within 3 weeks the cable started bulging out of the cloth sheath in two separate places. One in the middle that got so bad the cable did a hairpin turn with at the exposed area. But it was the other bulge that did them in - right near the jack it caused a 90 degree turn that eventually started cutting signal to one ear. This is all within 3 weeks! It took me another 3 weeks to get a replacement pair - and now it's happening again - it's only been a week! Right near the jack again - not too bad, yet... I find this very frustrating as I know I'll be seeking a replacement again soon.

As I said there doesn't seem to be a lot of complaining about this issue out there so I guess it's not widespread - but it seems like a very poor design issue. I have treated this second pair with kid gloves but to have it happen again so quick suggests a design flaw to me.

At any rate - I hope this info is helpful to anyone considering a pair of these things....

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am also experiencing the same problem as you.

I made my purchase October 2009, while on holiday in Hong Kong, (no, they are not knocks!). It was only three months, or less, that the cord began to bulge, seemingly, from where it had been folded when packaged.

Two days ago, the connector fell out of the socket, without any warning, as it was working ok the day previously.

I use these varying lengths of time, but no more than 1-2 hours per day, and the cord is inside the ipod case, which is then in my pocket.

I am very disappointed with this product, but am also delighted to discover, that it is not just me who has this fault.

My problem now, is, that I have delivered the faulty product to a retailer in NZ, and am expecting the Klipsch agent hear to inform me that the warranty is not worldwide. That will be an absolute disaster. Over 400.00 on earphones that no longer function :(