Klipsch promedia 2.1 static when adjusting volume

Clixx13

Hi,

I have a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker set for my computer (and it's fantastic!) that I've been using for well over a year. I got it second hand from a friend of mine, and it performs extremely well, but we've both experienced the following problem:

When adjusting volume with the volume control knob, there are what I guess I can describe as bands of static, much like tuning an analog radio. I have to adjust the knob just right to get a desired sound level and quality. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and if there's anything I can do to fix it.The speakers have not been modified, damaged or mistreated in any manner.

Thanks!

As a short term fix try this: With the speakers turned OFF, turn the offending knob the full throw from low to high about 15-20 times. Turn the system back on and see if it any better.

What this does is clean the carbon/dirt that's built up on the contacts in the dial pot of the volume control. When they're turned on it creates a magnetic field that attracts the carbon/dirt back onto the contact areas.

If that doesn't work see if you can open them up (somehow) and spray the dial pot with contact cleaner. Yo ucan get the cheap stuff at Radio Shack - called Tuner Cleaner.

I use DeOxit for this problem on these pods all the time and it usually does the trick. you can certainly do it yourself or you can send your pod to me and I will do it for $5 plus shipping. But it is easy enough to do yourself if you can find/buy the DeOxit. I am sure the radioShack stuff is similar but I can't say how good it is or not but I do know it will be alot less than buying DeOxit so it may be worth a shot.