Heresy 1 Statistics? Retouch tips? Parts?

Juxta Pose

Hey there I've just acquired some Heresy 1's (I think 1979, serial letter is T) and I'm trying to find the parameters ie. power handling, freq range etc.

I've also been told that a HF horn is not working although I haven't heard for my self(no suitable hi-fi amp), are there any parts available? I've heard testing the resistance of the HF horn will tell me if it's failed, is this true?

The cabs are quite rough so I'm considering painting or retouching them, any tips? Was thinking of maybe giving the veneer a light sand and orange oiling them or panting them..

Vintage audio isn't really my thing(more into pro audio an electronic music) but I've heard the Heresy's reputation an I can't bare to see a nice old set sit in neglect!!

77T931 and 77T950 are the serial numbers, not sequential but at least the same year! Not bad for $100 bucks from a tip shop...

So in short I'm after"

A. Stats or parameters

B. What power output amp

C. Retouching/painting tips suggestions

D. Replacement parts

I live in Australia but will be in the U.S. from the 18th Nov to mid Dec so if parts are available I hope to pick up while there....

Any info would be greatly appreciated..

Hey there I've just acquired some Heresy 1's (I think 1979, serial letter is T) and I'm trying to find the parameters ie. power handling, freq range etc.

1979 they are.

I've also been told that a HF horn is not working although I haven't heard for my self(no suitable hi-fi amp), are there any parts available? I've heard testing the resistance of the HF horn will tell me if it's failed, is this true?

You can determine if the HF (K-77 tweeter) is working by covering the midrange horn and listening with a toilet paper tube to the tweeters (not very loud...)

The cabs are quite rough so I'm considering painting or retouching them, any tips? Was thinking of maybe giving the veneer a light sand and orange oiling them or panting them..

See below links on refinishing, etc.

Vintage audio isn't really my thing(more into pro audio an electronic music) but I've heard the Heresy's reputation an I can't bare to see a nice old set sit in neglect!! 77T931 and 77T950 are the serial numbers, not sequential but at least the same year! Not bad for $100 bucks from a tip shop...

Not bad at all!!!!!

A. Stats or parameters;

96dB, 1 watt/ 1 meter; nominal max power is only 100 watts. They are very efficient.

B. What power output amp;

Any amp with about 35-45 watts will do just fine.

C. Retouching/painting tips suggestions

See below

D. Replacement parts

You will likely need to replace the capacitors in the crossovers; if the diaphragms in the tweeters are shot, you can get replacements from Bob Crites (BEC on the Forum).

Everything you need to know about them:

How to refinish and restore them:
Hope that is of some assistance.

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 50Hz-17kHz(+-)5dB
POWER HANDLING 105 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY 96dB @ 1watt/1meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
TWEETER K-77-M 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
MIDRANGE K-55-V 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
MID FREQUENCY HORN 80(o)x30(o) Exponential Horn
WOOFER K-22 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Birch Plywood or Veneered Lumbercore
ENCLOSURE TYPE Sealed
DIMENSIONS 21.4" (54.36cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm) x 13.2" (33.53cm)
WEIGHT 55 lbs. (24.97kg)
FINISHES Walnut, Rosewood, Teak Oil, Walnut, Oak, Cherry Lacquer, Raw, Black Birch
BUILT FROM

1957 to 1895

Amp anything from 5w to ????

Consult a wood worker

See Klipsch parts (on this website)