RW-12d vs Sub 12

Jakeg123

In my time with both these subs, I found the Sub-12 to have more biff, bang, boom to it than the RW-12. Depending on room layout, placement of sub, etc, the RW-12 might be better suited for you with the front firing woofer and front port, although I heard port noise from the RW-12. The Sub-12 didn't have the port noise, or I didn't hear it as its rear ported.

It would be best if you could find a dealer near you where you can compare them for yourself.

I think the RW-12d is a nicer quality build with a little more power and better quality components. The digital controls and remote capability of the RW-12d are also a very nice improvement. I think the RW-12d is also a more musical sub than the Sub-12.

In my time with both these subs, I found the Sub-12 to have more biff, bang, boom to it than the RW-12. Depending on room layout, placement of sub, etc, the RW-12 might be better suited for you with the front firing woofer and front port, although I heard port noise from the RW-12. The Sub-12 didn't have the port noise, or I didn't hear it as its rear ported.

I never heard port noise with my RW-12d, I did hear port noise with the HSU sub (rear ported) I returned the HSU after one week and bought my RW-12d. I liked the RW-12d much more. I have never owned the Sub-12 but definitely prefer the RW-12d to the Sub-12.

Although, I would be comparing the RW-12d and the sub -12. Isn't the RW-12d an improvement over the RW-12?

I never heard port noise with my RW-12d, I did hear port noise with the HSU sub (rear ported) I returned the HSU after one week and bought my RW-12d. I liked the RW-12d much more. I have never owned the Sub-12 but definitely prefer the RW-12d to the Sub-12.

I must have heard a chuffy RW-12, or it was turned up loud.

It would be best if you could find a dealer near you where you can compare them for yourself.

I wish I could compare the two, but the places around me do not carry them. I would have to purchase blindly =/

I think the RW-12d is a nicer quality build with a little more power and better quality components. The digital controls and remote capability of the RW-12d are also a very nice improvement. I think the RW-12d is also a more musical sub than the Sub-12.

That is what I was thinking, and i could get the RW-12d for $500, or the Sub-12 for $350. I was leaning toward the RW-12d, but now I'm not sure.

As far as the RW-12d and just RW-12 without the "d" on the end, the main difference is the RW-12d added the newer digital controls otherwise I don't think there is much difference between the two.

I have also seen recent posts on this forum about the Sub-12 amp failing, I think the RW-12d is a better made sub and worth the extra money.

As far as the RW-12d and just RW-12 without the "d" on the end, the main difference is the RW-12d added the newer digital controls otherwise I don't think there is much difference between the two.

I have also seen recent posts on this forum about the Sub-12 amp failing, I think the RW-12d is a better made sub and worth the extra money.

Well, one difference between the RW-12 and the RW-12d is that the RW-12 has a db rating of 113 and the RW-12d has a db rating of 116.

I guess thats why they put the bigger price tag on the RW-12d and not the sub-12 [;)]

Hey Jake, I really like the 62's, you don't want to have a wimpy amp though or you'll find a lack of low midrange in the sound. I find that the 82's have this with a wimpy amp but then the bass doesn't sound as clear(sounds muddy). As far as bass lacking, with a good sub, it didn't matter for me if I went with the 62's or the 82's as the 62's horn is at my ear level when I am seated, and the sub covered the low end nicely. I am able to set the receiver's crossover point at 60Hz comfortably and it blends in well with no problems from the RF-62's woofers.

Hey Jake, I really like the 62's, you don't want to have a wimpy amp though or you'll find a lack of low midrange in the sound. I find that the 82's have this with a wimpy amp but then the bass doesn't sound as clear(sounds muddy). As far as bass lacking, with a good sub, it didn't matter for me if I went with the 62's or the 82's as the 62's horn is at my ear level when I am seated, and the sub covered the low end nicely. I am able to set the receiver's crossover point at 60Hz comfortably and it blends in well with no problems from the RF-62's woofers.

Thanks for the good information! I am planning on purchasing a new, more powerful receiver soon. The yamaha that I have now isn't terrible at 80w x 5 but I could use a little more power. I guess if I see any amazing deals on the RF-82s I will get those, but I am glad to know that if I end up purchasing the RF-62s (Which will most likely be the case) that I will be happy with them! I am assuming that the RW-12d that I am going to purchase will blend nicely with the RF-62s (fingers crossed!).

It will most likely blend well with them. If you have heard the sub, you find that the different settings in the display help to shape the sound. So you will have options with that sub to blend with the Fronts you choose. You will enjoy it, I hope your excited.

I have not heard the sub, but I am going to ultimate electronics today, hopefully they have it so I can listen to it! Thanks again for all of the great information! You have helped a lot! I am VERY excited! [:D]

It will most likely blend well with them. If you have heard the sub, you find that the different settings in the display help to shape the sound. So you will have options with that sub to blend with the Fronts you choose. You will enjoy it, I hope your excited.

I have not heard the sub, but I am going to ultimate electronics today, hopefully they have it so I can listen to it! Thanks again for all of the great information! You have helped a lot! I am VERY excited! [:D]

So I went to ultimate electronics and they had the RW-12d but it was not hooked up and they did not have a sub-12, so I was not able to listen to either of them. [:(] Before I purchase, does anyone else have any opinions on which sub (either the RW-12d or the sub-12) produces more base and which sounds better? I will be using it for 75% music and 25% HT. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Jake