I going to get an Almarro integrated.

Yukon Jackass

Did somebody say Grateful Dead?

If you want your Heresys to play GD even close to faithfully, stay away from those high frequency head drilling solid state integrateds. You have been given lots of great advice so far. I can add that I have an HH Scott LK-72 rebuilt by Craig NOSValves. I had a 222, 299 and LK-72. The others were great also but are gone now. The LK-72 was special because it had so much more bass and it woke up my heresys and also and especially my lascalas. I was just listening to the new Jerry (Let it rock) and Dead (Rad Trips 3/1) CDs that I recieved and the LK-72 is a great choice for all that old GD and Jerry stuff.

Even if you get a 222, or 299 it is going to be excellent. An LK-72 will bring out the bass more. Stick with the proven stuff. Trust the forum.

Hey Yukon,

Here is a shameless Embarrassed plug for a HH Scott 299D that I have listed in the Garage Sale section:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/125875.aspx

It was completely rebuilt by Craig in August and I have been using it with my Klipschorns with very nice results.
I have tried both SS and tubes with my KHorns, and for my ear, tubes are a much better listen.

I also have a pair of Heresy IIs that I have used the 299D with and they are also a very good combo... they can rock!

Before I picked up the Scott I had a pair of 45 SET amps which did a very nice job on the KHorns but when

paired up on the Heresy IIs... [|-)] they did not wake up.

I am guessing you would have similar results with the Almarro.

To garymd,

Yeah, vintage is not out of the question. I heard a lot about the old Scotts and Fishers of yesterday. As long as the price was fair, and as long as Craig would agree to fix up, modify, or even "hot rod" the amp. So that's an option I am keeping open.

What do you have against the Technics? I plan to spend about $600 tops for it, which includes the KAB mods. What other new, intro table can compete with it for $600? There's a lot of Technics users who have no problem with their TTs. I also don't want a turntable that requires constant adjustments and tweaking.

I am also a GD fan. Do you think the Heresy 3s are a good match for the Grateful Dead?

Sorry Yukon. I've been out of town.

Trust what Mark said. You won't be disappointed. Mark actually listens to more Dead these days than I do but I listen to vinyl almost exclusively.

As far as Technics, I only have my own experience. Like I said, the SL1800 I bought in the mid-70s sounded thin and lifeless no matter what cart I tried once I got back into vinyl after about 15 years without. I tried quite a few. Maybe I had a bad unit but I don't think that's the case. The completely stock $100 Thorens TD160 or 165? was just so much fuller and more musical than the Technics that I've been slamming them ever since. It wasn't just me. Larry C. was with me as I tried different carts and he agreed it was hopeless. I finally sold it to a co-worker for $100 who liked it well enough but I just think it paled in comparison to other tables in the same price range. I don't know if the 1200 is much different. Maybe it is. Maybe you'll love it. For $600, there are a lot of options out there so spend wisely. Audition as many tables as you can. I have 3 tables in use at the moment and they all sound great. None are DD.

I never heard Heresy 3s. I owned 1s and everything I played seemed to sound good. I don't think you can go wrong. If you end up with a Scott that has the unpowered center channel, I think a sub will give you some nice low-end umph.

Have fun! Craig will take good care of you.

- Gary