BiWire, How do you do it?

Gary W. Graley

Sounds easy but when I look at the wiring on the back of my receiver, Sony 840, and the 12gauge wire already plugged in, how in the world does one put TWO wires onto each terminal, for the mains and center for right now....?

I have the RF7s and will be getting the RC7 next week, with Banana plugs from RadioShack plugged into the terminals...

Would someone PLEASE post a pic of how they manage large wires onto the posts on the back of the receiver...

I am guessing that I would double up on the wires going into the banana plug, it's the type that you insert the wire and it compresses the wire inside, two pieces screwed together type of thing...I want to give this a go, right now need to pick up some more wire but hoping that one of you that have made this wiring scheme would give some connection pointers. The speaker end is dead easy, the receiver side sounds messy...

Thanks,

G2cwm15.gif

This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley on 03-07-2002 at 08:58 PM

I have the Sony 940 and my speakers are bi-wired. At the receiver end I am using banana connectors for the high frequency, and pin connectors for the wires running to the mid and bass. The banana connectors are plugged into the holes and the pins are underneath the holes. I hope that helps. Let me know if you notice a difference in the sound after you're done.

------------------

Klipsch Reference System:

4 RF-3s, 1 RC-3, (all bi-wired)

KSW-15 subwoofer

Samsung TXF2899 27+1 TV

Sony STR-DB940 Receiver

JVC 7-disc DVD changer

Monster Cabling all around

Similar to Jack,

I've used banana plugs for the high end freq. but hard wired the lower freq. under the binding post. Not sure about your reciever but I woud guess you have binding posts that accecpt both. There are some stackable banana plugs available. Someone on this forum gave out a web site but I never looked into it. Iv'e never used pin connectors, they don't seem to have enough contact area, but there are many that use them.

Later,

------------------

A/VR- Yamaha 870

RF-3II

RC-3II

RS-3II

KSW12

DVD Panasonic RP-56

Pioneer 5 Disc CD

Echostar Digital Sat

Hitachi Ultravision 50"

Here's a pic of the Bi Wire for my RF-3's. I had Accessories4less cut 9' equal lengths for L/R, had them install the larger spade connectors. Bought the Banana Plugs locally and installed them myself. As you can see, the Banana's have a large opening which allows the larger gage wire to easily fit into them, a screw down shaft keeps the wire tight and secure. The larger 13AWG wire w/spade ends connect to the low frequency +/- connectors on the speakers and the smaller 15AWG wire w/spades connects to the upper frequency speaker +/- connectors. I have made my own Bi Wire using similar gage wire and connectors. My homemade Bi Wires weren't as colorful as these, but form, fit and function was the same.

Hope this helps.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Also, Attached a text document that contains written instructions for Bi Wiring and Bi Amping speakers.

Edit 04/25/02: Had to remove photo & Bi Wiring Document, needed the allocation for other posts. Anyone desiring a copy, just email me through the link. I will attach the document and pic to a return mail reply.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-25-2002 at 04:59 PM

Well guys, I bought some AudioQuest Type4 cable today and Bi-Wired the setup, while I was finishing the wiring I was LISTENING to a CD to try and memorize HOW it sounded on the BEFORE leg of this journey, the AFTER didn't seem much different, now I have much hesitation when picking up this cable, the wire is SMALL size, but SOLID copper, two smaller leads for the High Freq side and slightly larger leads for the Low Freq side...talking 20ga and 17ga, compared to the 12ga I took off, but I'm going to run (no pun intended) with this for a while and give it a chance...

I also installed my RC7 today, very nice, voices are much fuller than the RC3...

Thanks for your help guys,

G2

UPDATE...

Well just got back from town after thinking more on this subject and made the following changes for the better I think;

Put the Monster 12ga back on the mains and center, but kept it biwired and put both runs of the AudioQuest on the High Freq side of the Biwire and used the Monster 12ga on the Low side....and....it really does sound more open, I'm a believer now for the openness of the sound, clear and open, worth the trouble...

Wes, my connector looks much like yours now on the Receiver...Wink.gif

G2

G2

G2,

Are you know using two lengths of the 17 or 20AWG wire for the HF posts? Wondering if this results in increased resistance along the signal path or unique load to receiver/amp, as to one cable length of larger AWG. You've performed a bi-wire 2.1 installation.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

I combined them both, into one cable, got the idea when I saw the cable for sale on OneCall, the Type 4 with two leads out, so I tied a 20 and a 17 together to make about a 14ga lead, listening more last night to some music that I am familiar with and have to say the the highs do sound more open, a lot larger soundstage seems apparent, I know some will say I was looking for SOMETHING to happen and I was and did find a difference, which is a good thing! I'd recommend trying it.

My one thought today is a different receiver, right now I've a Sony 840 which does a good job but wonder if another would be a warmer sounding receiver in about the same price range or a little higher, my discretionary funds are about shot, as I also have a Velodyne SPL1200 enroute to replace my KSW12, but have just a little left to maybe upgrade my receiver...but there isn't a solid reason to switch that I see right now, as most of the ones I've looked up tout about video switching and right now I'm not concerned about those features...

G2

Thanks Wes, I'm looking at the Sony STR-DA5ES receiver, as the store that I bought the 840 would be the place I would trade it back in, if I did go with another receiver...

Not sure how long they have been around, the reviews are scant and the Sony site is sparse! But the ES series is suppposed to be a good one...

G2