to Equalize or not Equalize, that is my question.

Modern Audiophiles prefer the less interaction between the equipment and the recording. The more direct the source and less "colored" by any components the best.

I wonder why equalization is a don't?

In my view, equalize can be the cheapest and easier way to "match" the sound system with the specific room in which we pretend to use it.

Comments?

I also agree with you guys-I'm in favor of some type of equalization whether it be for room acoustics,source material,or just a bad recording I adjust my new equalizer (Yamaha EQ-1100u) to just about every different cd I own.I know the purists disagree but I'm keeping mine!

Jeff

When you hone you system down to top flight components, then you will actually find the use of a mechanical equalizer a detriment sonically. The best thing is to remove the offending piece that needs such equalization or do it by passive means such as system tuning, room treatment, or component selection. But in general, it is not a matter of just being pure or not. IT is the simple fact that you can hear the sound degradation of adding the additional interconnects, pots, and circuitry. Perhaps it might be necessary as a last ditch choice. Obviously, many here like theirs as evidence above. I have just found it more of an evil than a help.

Add to that, most of these devices are of such poor quality that it adds a layer of artificial quality to the sound. The soundstage and imaging suffer, as well as the detail. Just one more view to add to the pot.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-08-2002 at 08:41 PM

mdeneen,

It is a 10 band Graphic EQ with 10 bands of adjustment +/- 12db.It has a spectrum analyzer display.

It was Yamaha best consumer EQ made from 1988-1992 and retailed for $700.00 new.

I just picked it up from the original owner,a woman,with original box,owners manual,and electret condenser microphone for $100.00,really is the best kept used product I've ever bought-not even a scratch or mark on it.

As I have said earlier I listen to mostly hard rock/metal and some of my earlier cd recordings sound like they were taken directly off an 8 track (Great, now I'll hear it from the 8 track faithful!)But there is no other way I can get these expect for cassette and thats not the format I want so I have to liven up these cds to the way I WANT to hear them.

My room is heavly carpeted and not all the bright room my system used to be in so I have to boost 4Hz & 8Hz as well as 120Hz for most of my listening material.

On most of my later cds as well as my imports I can run the EQ flat as the recordings are so much cleaner.

I'm sure the signal is not as clean as it possible could be but I don't listen to Jazz-Classical-Folk-Rap-Indie-etc.I listen to Hard Rock & Metal.I'm not listening for the nuances and to hear the artist breathe.I enjoy my music for the state of mind it puts me in as well as the overall enjoyment I get from my hobby-and in the end isn't that what its all about??

Jeff

This message has been edited by JCturboT on 03-08-2002 at 10:07 PM

"you can't expect to put a $100 ADC SoundShaper into a fine system with no ill-effects. "

Damn! I hate it when my bubble gets burst by someone who's opinion I respect. Sure enough I have an ADC Sound Shaper...sure looks like more than $100 bucks...Although I do have it wired into my system, but I don't use it...That spectrum anylizer display is so cool though I think I'll keep it!

Dave

It's more important to look good than sound good

cwm5.gif

Figure, it will be in one of your TAPE LOOPS and you can bypass it 100% if you wish. It is fun to play with if you have one. I use mine rarely, but its there when I want it. Some of the ex-por stuff can be $500-$1000+ new and you can pick them up for <$100 in ghetto audio shops. I have an Audio Source that is god knows how old, but it works.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

mdeneen,

Not to worry my friend...I enjoy this hobby alot, but I don't take it that seriously. My eq unit was bought used about 7 years ago as a part of a package that included:

Yamaha M-4 Power Amp (120w x 2)

Onkyo Integra P-3090 Pre Amp

ADC SS-315 10 band EQ (spectrum anylizer, but no mic)

Nakamichi ZX-7 Cassette Deck

Infinity RS-3 Studio Monitors w/ stands (in a closet/rotted woofer surounds)

all of the above (circa '81?) for $250!

I use the above package sans Infinities w/ my:

Sony CDP-CX400 CDP (gift yipee!)

'85 LaScalas ($700 used)

Rat Shack gold interconnects (what...$15/stereo pair?)

DIY cat5 speaker cables (dumpster dive baby! FREE)

So I don't have that much invested...but it rocks the house for me.

Davecwm12.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mdeneen:

Manuel -- Nothing is wrong with EQ conceptually. How else would you mitigate the +/- 6dB or 10dB response variations with room and speaker?

Yep, that is my point. Now that Im learning to use RTA software Im begining to be aware of the incredible dB variations I get in my room by simply changing a few variables!

Now, MobileHomeless, you are right about that "the less the better" but by selecting the components you are also equalizing (the hard way) ;-) The bad part is that the equalization will only work with some recordings, leaving others as awful as they are.

I plan to use a 1/3 octave equalizer, and make only small changes. But first, I want to really master the mysterious world of objective measures.

And dont forget one of the MAIN suggestions:

Room Treatments

Either bought or made at home. I have had room where the difference wrought here is astounding and much preferable to adding more equipment. Again, not easy, but worth the effort. The room is actually one of the most important aspects that almost everone takes for granted. Addressing these issues goes a LONG way.

kh

mdeneen,

"I think you can get a mic for that spectrum analyzer that doesn't have to be the original equipment."

Are you sure about this? Microphones are sort of reverse speakers and therefore can sound as different as two differnt types of speakers. I would think this could greatly skew the spectrum anylizer. I guess it's not really that accurate anyway so probably worth a try. I've got a an EV 635A hand mic (omni directional) laying around somewhere if I can just find a female XLR to male 1/4" adapter so I can plug into the EQ. Do you think this would work or did you mean I could order a newer model mic from ADC?

I'm really not that good of a bargan shopper...I just got lucky! I never find bargans when I'm actually looking for them...Somehow you just seem to stumble on them when you are not looking.

Dave

my first experience with an EQ was not very good, it did distort the sound, but the problem I am trying to solve is the 6-8 kHz harshness, greater than 8 dB, of my horns and the room-

most of the acoustical treatments that I have found actually dampen the room down below 100 Hz, no one has said they have something inexpensive to dampen the room at those frequencies -

so instead a $30 ADC EQ helps smooth out the Cornwall glare, it is very important not to use serve settings on the EQ, but to ease into the are that needs solving, I also played around with the 20 Hz slider and got a flat bass response at normal listening levels down to 25 Hz, but that was not musical at all, so I do longer use the EQ to boost the bass ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Mdeneen,

I have Spectralab, SpectraRTA, ETF Acoustics and RMAA & RMAA-AE. I use a SoundBlaster Live in my desktop and the internal soundcard of my notebook. ETF is an interesting software, it takes the measure against the output from the soundcard, minimizing errors.

I also use an old omnidirectional Sony mic, the RS SPL Meter and I will order the calibrated mic that comes with ETF.

So far, Im only playing around with the software, reading and learning here and there, and having fun. But I surely feel that an RTA could be an invaluable tool for fine tunning a system, coupled with a high quality 1/3 octave or a parametric equalizer.

This message has been edited by Manuel on 03-09-2002 at 02:31 PM