Khorn xo mod and frequency change?

Erland

Some of you may remember my DIY Khorn project a couple of years ago.

I built a pair of Khorns with Trachorn mids, Crites tweeters and Akleng ES xo's.

The tweeters was this summer upgraded to Fostex T500AmkII. Big improvement.

I am using the K55V midband driver in the trachorn.

I have for some time been exploring the market for another midband compression driver.

Some people say that the insanely prized GOTO SG570 or the 505DX is the best there is.
Later I have spoken to people who have sold them and changed to the TAD 4001 in other horn systems. They are not cheap either, but still $1200 less than the best GOTO option.

I have heard of people who have used the TAD in Khorns, but I do not remember what they have changed except for the squaker horn and driver. The TAD ned to have a lower xo frequency @ 600hz. Can the Khorn bass play up to that frequency range?

If not I am left with the GOTO option. They can do it - by a margin!

Still I like to try something much simpler than the ES XO

What I have in mind, is a "simple as possible" 1st order -6db sloped xo that keeps the midrange between (with GOTO 400hz and 6000hz) /(with TAD 600hz and 8000hz) and a similar filter that limits the tweeter accordingly. The Fostex can play to 45000hz and I see no reason to limit the frequency upwards.

First: I have no idea about xo desing, so my questions may be stupid, but:

Can it be done?
What do I need to change?
Anyone who knows enough about XO who is willing to help me with a simple schematic for such XO?

Best regards
Erland

• Like 1

Guest David H

I have heard of people who have used the TAD in Khorns, but I do not remember what they have changed except for the squaker horn and driver. The TAD ned to have a lower xo frequency @ 600hz. Can the Khorn bass play up to that frequency range?

If not I am left with the GOTO option. They can do it - by a margin!

Still I like to try something much simpler than the ES XO

You might take a look at Gregs928gts 2 inch V-Trac horns and new 1st order crossovers. I will post some links.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/127224.aspx new crossover.

Vtrac Demo http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/118944/1233201.aspx#1233201

Regarding the TAD 4002 (I have no idea if/how it might be different than the 4001)

The guys with the TAD 4002's are crossing them over at 400 if I recall correctly. If using active, they are crossing the bass bins at 450 and the TAD's at 400 according to my cheat cheat.

I think Maron has it... for commercial use they might want to cross higher but for residential use you can cheat.

Thanks for your advice so far.

The only difference between TAD 4001 and 4002 as far as I know, is that the 4001 has a bigger (twice the weight) magnet.

I agree on the cheating option as long as the driver (with a correct horn) does not start to roll to much. I have not had the option to view the frequency curve on the TAD's.

As the TAD are 2" throat, I would have to change the horn from Alkeng Trachorn to Greg's V-trac aswell?

• Like 1

Don't forget to consider the use of a JBL 2470 mid compression driver. I use those in my mains with the Trachorns and am very happy. BTW, I am using the ALK universal and it crosses over near 400 Hz. If you go that route, the driver MUST have the phenolic diaphragms. That is a 1" driver. Very smooth, excellent for vocals and a nice compliment for the Trachorns IMHO.

I looked for quite a while into a mid driver capable of working in the Khorn. Not many options at all.

Thanks.

I have also looked for mid driver for the horns for a while. As you say, not many options.

It's the JBL, the TAD, Beyma and then GOTO (that I know off)
I have heard a roumor that Fostex is working on a "big brother" for the T500AmkII tweeterhorn. Not confirmed, but if that's thrue, I will be first in line when it's released!

That said, The K55V is a very good driver! It's just that thought....how much more is it possible to get out of this great speaker[:)]

• Like 1

Have you considered the great plains 390? It is a high quality driver based, I think, on the Altec 190E or 290 driver (?). Of course an Altec 190E or 290 is a great vintage driver. Two vintage JBL drivers might be good for this use (if you can find them) the 2485J and the 2490H. Warm regards, Tony

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/hf_drivers.html