Amp Advice Needed--Help Mobile!

Hi Folks,

I've been reading the list for a few months and currently have two pair of Cornwalls (circa '67 with vertical horns and '77 with horizontal), and a pair of KG-4s. I owned a pair of '81 Khorns until last year when I sold them because of a house move--big mistake.

Anyway, my two main power units are both solid state: a McIntosh MC 2105 w/ C 28 preamp in the bedroom and a Sony GX99ES receiver in the living room.

I've been reading Mobile's (and others') postings about tube amps and have become interested in giving tubes a try. My question is this: I have borrowed a Dynaco SCA 35 integrated tube amp to try out. Is this a unit worthy of the Cornwalls?

The Dyna seems to be in decent shape and is for sale for $150. My first trial hasn't gone that well--there is considerable hum from the Dyna when hooked to the Cornwalls. Should I try to track it down or look for a better amp? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I listen primarily to cool jazz, world music, and Richard Thompson (sorry, he's in a class by himself!)

Best regards,

Triceratops

Well, I have had the little Dynaco SCA-35 and it's a fine little amp, especially as a first tube amp to taste the waters. It's usually not too expensive even though it is well known from the name. $150 is about what they go for.

However, given your other gear and your fine speaker selection, I would personally opt for a better quality tube candidate. Even with the Dynaco working correctly, I think you might be relatively happy, but in a few months, wonder else was out there. That piece gives you a taste of tubes but also brings with it some of the foibles with rather polite bass and not quite as extended highs.

There are other options to explore here, both vintage and new. Are you going for vinyl and digital? Would you really prefer a integrated or would separates be an option? Lastly, how much can you spend.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Mobile--

Thanks for your prompt response. I listen primarily to CDs with a Sony ES-series player (CDP XA1ES) and a little vinyl with a B&O tangential turntable (TX2 w/ MMC4 cartridge).

Separates would be fine, but my budget is fairly limited. Ideally, I would like to keep the total for amp and preamp in the $500 range, so I'm thinking that would limit me to an integrated rig. On the other hand, I recognize that you get what you pay for, so if I need to go up a few hundred more for a significant improvement, I'm willing to do that.

I'm also receptive to building from a kit. I've been a hobbyist for tape recording, slot cars, guitars, bicycles, and various other DIY fetishes for years, so no problem with assembling and soldering stuff. Are there any kits that are actually competitively-priced relative to assembled gear?

I'm curious about the Jolida, Golden Tube Audio, and any other inexpensive tube gear you may suggest. I greatly appreciate your advice.

Best regards,

the three-horned dinosaur

ella_247.jpg

I've been talking to Kevin Haskins about the possibility of offering a modified ELLA EL-34/KT-88 integrated kit that can be customizable with wire/cap/volume pot choices. Currently, this unit only comes with a volume attenuator and ONE set of inputs. I am trying to get Kevin to modify this kit for three inputs and a DACT attenuator (good unit). I think this would compare favorably to any offering from Jolida/ASUSA/ASL etc. I will be auditioning the regular Ella in a few weeks. The kit front plate will have to be modified to make room for additional source switching. This could be an attractive option. This price should be within your range (with some extra ducats thrown in for shipping).

I'll let you know. There are other alternative here as well. To be continued...

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 03-09-2002 at 11:35 AM

Thats a beautiful amp there mobile, I haven't heard the SCA 35 in a long time, so I am going by hearsay, but that little unit is not one of Dynaco's classics, w/o some modifications, if you know how to solder and do some surfing, I bet you could make that thing sing, however, I certainly think the big old horns deserve better amplicafication than that, the amp mobile suggests looks great, if that one is not available I would consider the the Antique Sound Lab MG-SI15DT Single Ended Integrated Tube Amplifier at:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/antique-sound-lab-15dt-tube-amp-1-2001.html.

The editor said, "But, view it this way. The 15DT is an entry level tube product, at an entry-level price, but is Class A and single-ended, which are two characteristics that tubophiles love. It's a bargain."

Otherwise, I would look at Jolida tube integrated amps for use with your super efficient horns: Use Audioreview.com to check out the Jolida reviews. Find the amps at the Jolida site and http://www.newtube.com/jolida.html.

Your system will sound so sweet and engaging that you will enjoy it for years. Like someone said on another post, you listen to the music, not the sound.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Mobile and Colin--

Thanks for your detailed responses. I played around with the Dyna SCA-35 to try and reduce the hum (changed outlets, reverse polarity, grounded chassis, etc) but decided it has leaky caps. That problem and your suggestions on some of the other stuff out there convinced me to return the unit yesterday.

Mobile, the Consonance Ella looks beautiful. Your comments about the single inputs got me thinking. I wonder if I could get by without a source switch, and just swap cables around as needed. Definitely not very convenient but it could work...

Does Consonance have a factory web site? What about the other brands you mention? For the most part, the searches I've tried have turned up dealer sites rather than the factory sites.

Colin, thanks for the reference to Home Theater and High Fidelity review. Are you the author of the piece on the Bottlehead Paramour SET monoblocks from last year?

There is a used Jolida 801A for sale locally for $775. That's a bit more than I was hoping to spend, and probably more power than I need for the Cornwalls (70 wpc). Would there be any advantages over the Jolida 102B or the ASL MG-SI15DT?

Since the Jolida rigs are not SET, but have more power, what are the trade-offs? Are we talking apples and oranges?

Any experience with Golden Tube Audio? I note that they have an integrated rig as well that shows up in the used gear sites regularly.

Thanks again for any and all help!

Best regards,

JD/triceratops

Steer clear of the Golden Tube Audio as they are no more although their tube amps had a VERY loyal following with whole newgroups dedicated to them. They were beautiful amps that looked FAR better than they cost and had pretty good sonics. They revolved around the 6L6 tube; Svetlana makes a good version of this as well. Still, this company has gone to the wayside as far as I know unless the just restarted recently.

As for the Jolia 801, this is a pretty good offering as it can play 6550, KT-88, and EL-34. It is usually a bit more expensive used than the decent Jolida 302B which is the EL-34 version with a different circuit/parts. If you can get this piece cheap, you might be very happy. It's an ok first tube amp. Edster00 had one for awhile and was very happy.

The Ella would be an excellent choice and although DIYCable will only be offering these as kits, I know of several that might build one from scratch for some additional ducats. From what I have heard, the Ella might be better than many of the others in this price range.

As for the SET difference, you are talking apples and oranges here. These offerings just are not in the same league regarding detail, transparency, open, natural, uncongested sonics. But, you will be GREAT sound for the price.

kh

Mobile and others--

Thanks again for your input. It sounds like the Consonance Ella might be the best way for me to go. No problem about it being a kit--in fact I would prefer that! I don't see anything about the Ella on the Consonance site. Am I looking in the wrong place? What do you think the odds are of the manufacturer going with your suggestion on the phono preamp feature? Otherwise is there an outboard phono preamp you would recommend?

Best regards,

triceratops

yes, those are my babies, I spent years surfing the Net looking for something to replace my SS reference amp and sound better than my Dynaco ST70s had, I have a pair of ASL 2A3 coming and I am anxious to hear what the differences are -

while the Jolida cost may be larger than your budget, I think the Cornwalls are certainly worth the investment, it is not unusual for Cornwall owners to spend several times more, than what the speaker's cost, on their amps, the big old horns are relatively cheap and keep showing more ability -

my preference is for SET amps, though it is not an apples and oranges difference like SS vs. tube amps, more of a navel vs. tangerine taste, I like the sweet juice delicacy and refinement of the tangerine SETs -

swapping connections would be a major pain, for one thing I would make sure the power is off before I did anything like that (and there is some residual energy stored in the tube after you turn the unit off) so you would have to switch source cables BEFORE you powered up the tube amps, so switching from a TV show to some late night mellow listening would be a pain, plus tubes sound better after they have been for awhile, so anything that can handle more than one source would be much better -

mobile is certainly familiar with the Consonance amps, since he has a backdoor affiliation with DIYcable, this has the EL-34 tube, which is a very different orange than the 6L6 or 2A3 variety, more like the Dynaco sound at its best -

although I know nothing about Golden Audio, the 6L6 tube is almost as tempting as a 2A3 rig, for the delicacy and texture of the tone, if you can find a forum as knowledgeable as mobile to support you, otherwise I would suggest going right to the top and getting a Wellbourne or Wright 2A3 amp ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!