Cornwall question (bass heavy passages)

jbek

Just put my Cornwall's back together after restoration and noticed something I hadn't noticed before on bass heavy passages. Air seems to be being forced between the K77 & it's mounting surface when the bass really hits hard. Same thing for the K55?? This creates a a muffled distortion like sound. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this? I thought I tightened them down good, but I haven't pull the rear covers off to double check...

I haven't noticed this sort of thing, but it certainly makes sense.

For accurate performance the box has to be without air leaks. The Cornwall has a port, and that is supposed to be the only opening. Heresy has no port but again the box has to be air tight.

You'll observe that the mid and tweeter and their mounting should not have any passages communicating to the outside relative to the inside of the box. Therefore their mounting to the front board has to be air tight.

It may be that in restoration, the integrity of the mounting has been compromised.

Mortite rope caulk is used by our forum members to mechanically damp horns. I take no position on that. Home Depot, Ace, or True Value stocks the stuff. Prices for a small roll are less than $5.

It is dandy stuff for sealing air leaks. Originally intended to seal windows. Get some.

You'll see it can be peeled off the ribbon reel in strings about 1/16 thick. You can use these to seal around the inside edges of the horns where they mate to the board. Alternatively, it can be used to make a gasket between the flange of the horns and the board. Sealing the edges of the woofer couldn't hurt either.

There is no rocket science to this. Just a matter of sealing up leaks, potential leaks, and imagined leaks.

Gil

don't forget the imagined leaks Smile.gif hehe

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>