HK 430 Noise

vondy

So my HK 430 has been going strong for over 2 years now. All of the sudden there is noise. It's a buzzing sort of noise that starts out whenever there is power and the selector is turned to whatever input is plugged in. For instance, if the Aux is plugged in and the volume is all the way to 0, the buz is there. If I turn the selector to, let's say... phono without the turntable plugged in, there is no noise.

I have my Aux plugged into my Apple Airport streaming music from my mac. With the cables unplugged, there is no noise. When the cables are plugged into the 430 but not the airport, the noise is there. When I plug the cables into the Aiport, the noise gets worse and louder with the volume change.

Same goes if I plug my Aux into the Blue Ray and pop in a CD.

I've opened the 430 up and cleaned everything. Lubed the knobs with DeOxit and conditioned. Still no luck.

Any ideas to fix or do I need to send her out for fixen?

Thanks!

"Could it possibly, however, be a ground loop/short problem associated with the amp that is not detectable until something is plugged into aux? "

I'm more inclined to believe he has a problem with his 'Y1' capacitors in his computer switching power supply. They are supposed to be 'self healing' types, but a (momentary) pin-hole short could be a problem.

I will never hook a computer to a piece of hi-fi without galvanic isolation (transformer).

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/external-psu.htm#kil