wood for HT stuff

amusingisthedawn

I have decided to build my own console. I would like to place the subwoofer directly under the television, and also havea modified KLF 30 underneath the tv above the sub. What is a good wood to work with and has anyone else built there own? I don't have the skills of a woodworker, but I am handy. I'm open to any suggestions on placement as well. It is best to place the center channel at listener level right?

• Moderators

I like hardwood plywood (oak, maple, etc.) for such projects. You can get iron-on edge banding (skinny veneer) or use some kind of molding (shoe, shelf-edge) to dress up the exposed plywood edges.

That is the best/easiest way to do it.

The edge banding works really good, make sure you get the same flavor banding as the plywood you use so it all stains or finishes all the same.

You can use solid wood but unless you really like woodworking ( I do ) I wouldn't reccomend it. I have built a few things using solid wood, Mahogany and it looks great but cost much more and takes much more time. Also using real wood you would have to use joiner/planer the edges to get them perfect and install some biscuits for strength.

• Moderators

That looks nice,[Y] I did the same thing using Oak plywood for the two top shelves and solid Oak for the two sides which I made into shelves for DVDs and Cd's. Mine goes around a 65" RPT TV, both of the sides are shelves and the top holds equipment and the center Forte ll. The Tv is on wheels so I put the entertainment center on wheels also, I roll out the TV then roll out the entertainment center to get to the back of everything.

When this TV goes out I will probably need to build something like you did, and just put the TV on the wall, I like that.

I like the way yours looks, nice and clean.

post-11804-13819524727788_thumb.jpg