I have BASS !!!!

NOSValves

I realize you folk's are probably sick of hearing about my Mods and if so just say so. I just can't help it this Scott 222C just keeps getting better !!!

I just did the Mod that MDeneen laid out for me for Tighten up the bass and my god !!! It didn't just tighten it. It actually raised the base output unbelievable. Now I can drowned out my entire system with nice tight bass by adjusting the settings on my KSW-15. I'm still playing with the sub adjustments but have found it to sound really pleasing. When my 14 year old daughter hears this I might have a problem. She like most kids today loves the heavy Bass rappish music. I personally can't stand it. I might have to turn the Sub off when she's home LOL !!!

Anyway's if anyone wants to know what we did let me know. I'd be more than happy to share Info.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-10-2002 at 12:42 AM

NOS440, Whats a SCOTT 222C?

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Front Center (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Rear Center (OAK)

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS+ Sub's

Samson S1000 Sub Amp

Panamax 5300

Harman Kardon AVR 520

(2)Acurus 200x3

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Sony S565D DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

I listen to mostly 70s to mid 80s Rock and Roll. I have a very conservative speaker system compared to most people in this forum. I use Syenrgy SF-2 mains with a KSW-15 sub for Music and also have the rest of the matching Center and surrounds for HT. My room is small at 12 X 12 and I find it fills the room with very sweet sounds. I can now with out any problem listening at levels at 100db for hours without tiring of it. My Sony AV receiver would make your ears bleed trying to do that.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-09-2002 at 05:19 PM

MDeneen

Here we go again Wink.gif I think that is most likely the Future for this Amp. But I think I will take a break for at least a week and enjoy it as it is. I think I'll patch together the HF-81 and see how she sounds. Here in a day or 2.

But in your spare time you could start to lay out that mod. I'm just not sure if there's room for 2 more tubes now.

Thanks for all your help

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-10-2002 at 12:43 AM

They havn't said anything because I havn't told them. No sense pissing them off they do supply some good advise and are a nice bunch of people. Buy they do tend to frown on heavy Mods LOL !!

There mostly the Collector types which theres nothing wrong with that.

Hey I played with my Scott tuner and figured out what was wrong with it. It has output adjustments on the rear for both channels and they were almost maxed out and causing distortion, It works perfect now !! It really plays FM really good makes you actually want to Listen to FM.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-10-2002 at 12:40 AM

Manuel

I'll take a stab at answering your question and MDeneen can step in if I make a mistake, But here's the Latest Mod we did.

We adding 64 MFD to the B+ stage with a Top Mount Can type Electrolytic Capacitor and doubled all the Values of the Coupling Capacitors in the Signal path.

MDeneen did I get that right ??

Mdeneen,

This brings a thought into my mind about my soon to be here Heresy's will this mod render the Heresy's not a good chioce with this amp without a Sub ? With the Heresy line only reaching down the 50hz. This isn't a big deal since I have other tube Amps to drive the Heresy's. I'm leaning toward not using them in my HT setup anyway's. I think I'll just do a seperate 2 channel for my work shop with them. I'll either use the Imfamous HF-81 or my Scott 299 for the heresy's.

Of coarse I'll at least audition them with this amp with and without my sub for the heck of it.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott Tube FM Tuner LT-110B

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-11-2002 at 12:19 PM

quote:

Originally posted by mdeneen:

Every circuit has compromises and tradeoffs. This is why the interaction with amp and speaker and room is so crucial. An amp that sounds the bomb on Speaker A in room A, may sound like a dud on Speaker B in room B. Well, I am saying the obvious, but that is why I made the above comments.

Interesting work, I really want to begin with tubes... and about this last comment of yours, I can't agree more. I want to stress that Heresy's are rated at 50Hz at -3dB, but they don't fall sharply beyond that. And this specs are (I think) anechoic. In my room they are able to play a 100Hz tone at the same dB than a 50Hz one, and they are able to achieve 40Hz at -5dB, or in other words, they will play a 40Hz tone at good levels.

Manuel,

So from what I gather from your use of the Heresy you find that klipsch's rating are conservative to say the least. I hope your right! MDeneen said that the Heresy's he owned in the past produced some nice bass.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

And works awesome I might add !!! It sounds so good I think the Heresy's are just not needed. They may sound better than the SF-2s at the cost of throwing off the HT side of this system which is what the setup was really for. That's why I'm leaning toward setup the Heresy in a 2 channel only enviroment.

Like I said I have other Tube Amps for the Heresy's

Oh MDeneen you have a Private message.

------------------

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

Nos,

I too run the Heresy's on tubes (push-pull - 45 wpc).

They go down to 47 Hz audibly at reasonable volumes - but after that there is nothing at my listening position - it is almost as if someone cut the power as soon as the sweep goes down below 47 hz.

If at some stage in the future you decide to look for a sub to boost the output of the lower registers I can highly recommend the REL Strata 3. It is a sealed enclosure and a perfect tonal match for the Heresy.

At low volumes, at my listening postion, the range extends down to 35 Hz audibly. At conversational levels you get another 10 Hz (down to 25) and at higher volumes than that it goes all the way down to 21 Hz (the limit of my test DVD and therefore maybe lower still).

Now I have Heresy's that appear to go down evenly all the way to 21 Hz - a very pleasing result!!

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (DECWARE ZTPRE with separate beefed up PSU)

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones (on loan to a friend)

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

quote:

Originally posted by maxg:

They go down to 47 Hz audibly at reasonable volumes - but after that there is nothing at my listening position - it is almost as if someone cut the power as soon as the sweep goes down below 47 hz.

Yep, this is why I consider AS IMPORTANT AS THE SPEAKERS the room in which we will listen. I had the opportunity to test the rooms before deciding where my Heresy's would stay ;-) and the particular room I choose happens to have a big closet, that somehow, tune the room lower... that's why I get those impressive numbers with my Heresy's.

Nevertheless, I also run them with a sub, to get real bass.

maxg

Wheres a good place to shop for the REL subs online ??

Manuel

What sub are you running with your Heresy's

Thanks Craig

------------------

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel