Wanted K-55-V Squawker?

Hi

If any of you have an old K-55-V Aluminum Squawker from a Khorn,Belle or LaScalla, or know somebody who may have one to spare they could part with, please let me know.

Been watching Ebay - but I thought I would post here just in case.

I am building a center channel to use with my Khorns for a home theater I am building in my new home. My plan it to build a speaker with a K-24 12" woofer. K-77-M tweeter and this squawker. (Basicaly a Heresy with a K-horn Squawker to match my sides)

Thanks,

JM

That's just what I have tried to do.I have a Heresy that has been modified with a K-401(couldn't find a 400)with an AA network.The K-401 is in a seperate box under the Heresy.The problem is the woofer,it has a lower spl and it makes it a bit off in the mid-bass area.You will be able to hear what I mean.

Rewiring the AA transformer to change the tap settings doesn't work.I wound up using an"L"pad to drop the level of the K-77-K and the K-55-V so the K-24 woofer could try and keep up so to speak.

I replaced the 22 with a 24 and the bass improvement is just noticeable.

It sounds better now,but am planing to us a K-33 woofer that I found and build a La Scala type box.

The K-400 doesn't sound different to the ear than the K-400,I found out the difference is at a HZ we can really hear.

I'm a purest and would love to find a K-400,but for now I'm OK.

I do have a fiberglass Speaker Lab replica of the K-400 that sounds no different to me.I just wanted to have a real Klipsch squawker.

It is shaped very close to the K-400,1 and is the same depth and mouth opening.

Click on the link below,the pics are there of the box.

Hope this helps some.

By the way,Klipshorn HTs are unbelieveable,anyone that has been to our home has had a problem with thier jaw dropping to the floor.Then after a few choice DVDs...........well you know what I mean

------------------

Steve & Becky's HT

This message has been edited by Steve P on 03-10-2002 at 09:42 PM

MacKlipsch

I am waiting to see what drivers I end up with before I get / mod a crossover. My Khorns have a modified AK network in them now. So ???? well see.

Steve

Your info and setup is great. Originally - I was going to get a projector and have the screen above a single La Belle or Scalla on the floor. I decided to use a standalone 61" for the next couple of years until maybe we get a HDTV standard - prices dropp etc. etc. I don't want to mount a la scalla or Belle over the TV - Just to big?

What I was planning on doing was making a special cabnet mounted to the wall/ceiling centered on the front wall. This box would have a slanted front facing slightly downward. I have not drawn the speaker yet, but will post drawings before I build it.

My new house will be done June / July so I have some time to do this right.

I have a close friend who use to be an engineer at Koss speakers. He is a heritage lover and knows the formula to make a ported cabnet for the K-24. I have not decidid if I will port or not yet. Depends how much bass is needed.

My original thinking is that most center channel sound is Midrange. A K-400/401 will voice the same as my khorns - so the K-24 should be OK (I hope) if it is only used for HT. I do not plan to use it for music at all.

My room calcs has only 1 sigle null (don't remember the frequency off the top of my head) so it should be a good flat responce for two channel listening as well at HT.

Your Khorns look older than mine. Mine ar '87 and have the AK network. Your squawkers are the same as mine - the aluminum k400 with the K-55-V driver. Does your fiberglass horn have a K-55-V driver or does it have the thread to mount that driver? I will be interested in it if the price is right.

Thanks for the input.

JM

These may interest you - K55Vs (Alnico magnets will not interfer with TV picture due to their construction)with K600 horns. If your amp can handle it use both with another tweeter top and bottom or each side ...it will centeralize the sound in the middle of the screen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1338348946

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 03-12-2002 at 08:31 AM

JM, sounds like you're into it with this new house. Could you share with us the design of the room? I know this probably belongs in the "Architecture" part of this Forum, but I thought I'd ask.

I may be building a new house in a few years and want to start collecting ideas ...

Thanks!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris

I have designed several Sterio rooms over the years. It is best to build a room to get the best results. ESPECIALLY IF KHORNS ARE INVOLVED. My last home I built I designed a room that was the PERFECT two channel listening room I ever made.

This is no bulls..it. You know how when you are in an empty room with no furnature - You yell and hear a slight echo! Before I put in carpet and the false ceiling in this room - I stood in the middle of the room and yelled. I had NO echo _ NONE... The room (at that point) had a no furnature, concrete floor, wood ceiling and drywall all arround.

I have a spreadsheet that calculates single,double and tripple nulls. Is a good tool to use in an existing room. You can adjust your location in your room to find the best location to sit. Ive got to look for it - When I find it I will post it in the Arch section.

JM

JM

This is an urgent request to you asking that you not bid on those K55 horns currently on E-Bay..the reason they are there is the seller has stripped a set of Cornwalls and is selling the individual pieces in separate auctions.

I am bidding on the woofers, midranges, tweeters and x-overs. My intent is to re-unite them as PK intended, but in different cabinets.

I know this is a bold request from a total stranger, but I hope you'll understand.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Big D is willing to sell me one of his K-400 horns and a 55-V driver and we have agreed on a price. It is a VERY FAIR price...

HE HAS ANOTHER ONE AVAILABLE FOR ANYBODY WHO IS LOOKING..........

These are hard to find - I have been looking for a while.

If your interested - I suggest you contact him soon.

JM