HK3490 Vs AVR247

Backdoormudder

First of all I would put my vote to HK making the most sexy amp out there:)

Other than a old school MC2100...

I don't know the gear all that well but I love music and get you pay more you get more.....

I listen to Heavy music to light rap, I do like my bass but Love the more delicate sounds such as the john butler trio Check out Ocean you will love it cranked...OMG

Anyways I bought a AVR 247 but don't do the 5.1-7.1 thing as most of the stuff I watch is on the DL. But I do listen to music about 16hours a day:)

Would the HK3490 make much of a difference over the AVR247 and would some RB61's be better than my nuance book shelf speakers.

Thanks

sorry for the long rant on a first post..

If you don't need surround-sound you'll really enjoy the 3490. I had the previous model, the 3480, and it worked tremendously well with my Klipsch speakers. I only got rid of it to get into surround-sound. I liked the fact that the 3480 had a subwoofer pre-amp output and also main pre-amp inputs and outputs. It allows for a lot of system upgrades and flexibility.

As someone who owns the HK3490, (Connected to a pair of Klipsch RF-63's) I can put my hand on my heart and say that it's a fantastic amp.

You say that you don't use the extra channels on your surround amp; so you would be much better off getting the HK3490. Not only does it deliver more power, but it also has larger power reserves. (Larger power reserves = No clipping when you crank it) :)

Good luck!

Another nice feature of the 3490 is it is one of the only two channel receivers I am aware of that has digital inputs. I use it in my living room with my, wait for it, Phase Tech 3.1's and Velodyne mini-vee sub. B-side speaker outs are running my Klipsch 400w outdoor speakers. Great piece and can usually be had at a bargain price.