Klipschorn and 45 SET amp

lorcoll

Ciao to all, I would tell you that I have tried a 45 SET amp with my Khorn and it is the best sound I have ever heard.

In another pair of Khorn I still have the passive biamplification (CJ EL34 amp and two GTA 300B monoblocks) and I thought it was the best system, but I was wrong.

I have tried the 45 ST first and it was very good but a bit dry on the bass region, then I mounted the EML 45 meshplate and...........

all is in the right place; it has more magic midrange than the 300B, almost the bass of an EL34 PP and the best highs I have heard from a tube amp. I was surprised that a 45 amp (1,8 watts) had more dynamic gradations and punch than the 300B amp and that it is infinitely better than a 2A3 amp (SE or PP). I don't know how describe the sound: but my room has the right "pressurization" with almost any kind of music, the immediacy of the instruments (guitars or voices). I can reach a very loud level without any kind of clipping saturation. Natural, natural and natural is the right word.

I have tried the 45 amp on a pair of Fortè II and Cornwall I with very good results but not in the same league of the Khorn, so I think that the Khorn efficiency is the minimum for that amp. I have tried it with the Heresy too, but not a good match here: I love the total dynamic pleasure that a right pressure level can gives.

For the first time the guitars are so dynamic like I'm in front the best tube guitar amp (difficult to explain for me).

I would be very glad to know personal opinions by others Khorn's owners (with 45 amp).

Excuse me for my english but I wanted let you know the excitation for my new discovery after many many time.

Lorenzo.

I agree with your findings. I have been using a pair of 45 SET monoblocks for about 5 years now on my Khorns. It is indeed the best amp I have yet heard on them. I also own 2A3 Moondogs and 300b Welborne Laurels. Also have a Super AMp with KT88s, So, I get to play with a lot of amps. I have played with a lot of different 45 tubes and Im prefer the old RCA Blackplate Globes. The 45 Amp has a very, very sweet, almost spooky midrange.

If you want to take your Khorns to a whole other level. In fact the biggest and best upgrade I have ever made. Get rid of the Khorn midrange horn. I have swapped out the midrange of the Khorn and replaced it with an Altec 288-16K driver and 1005B horn. Also modified the type 'A' crossover for the Altec horn. A HUGE Improvement !

I wish my Itailian was as good as your English![:D]

Ciao!

Cut-throat,

are your tubes the RCA Radiotron UX-245 globe?

Have you compared them to the Emission Labs 45 meshplate?

I haven't tried the 245 globe but if you think they are the best, I'll try them.

I did try the Emmission Labs 45 Meshplates. But they had a hum in my amps, that I could not get rid of.I can't say that I spent much time listening to them as the hum drove me nuts. I hate hum more than anything. I like a real 'Black' Quiet Backround. So I sent them back immediately.

Yes, I use the UX-245 RCA Globes. Don't know if they are better than the EMLs, but they are sure quieter in my amps and leave nothing lacking for me. If the EMLs don't hum in your amps and you like them, that should work for you.

The Price of the RCA Globes has been esclating as they are 'desired' - If you get a pair to try them, you could certainly sell them again and rec-coup most of your money. They don't last long on e-bay.

I have the hum pots on my amp so I have reduced it to a very very low level.

I have discovered this sublime tube now and I'll try the 245 globes surely (who knows if there will be another surprise).

I have hum pots on my amp as well, and still could not get rid of all the hum with the EMLs. - Lots of folks say that this is not 'really' a 45 tube at all. But that's another topic.

If you like the tube, that's all you need to be concerned with. Amps are different. Some have AC heaters other DC and that also impacts hum......

Thanks for all of the chatter guys --- I was looking for a new amp also and I'm glad at least one of you are using the amp I am considering.

Which amp are you considering? A 45 amp in general, or is there one specifically you are looking for? Out of curiosity, what are you using now?

Mike

I am looking at the Korneff and the Yamamoto I also tried to buy the Loesch amp that was floating around on Ebay a few weeks ago.

As far as what I have now --- I have no amp I consider appropriate. I have a bunch of good sand amps and a nice futterman but I am more of a collector than anything else. A 45 fits in with the collection.