Marantz shuts down at high volume levels

Clergian

First, I want to thank the denizens of this board for always providind a newbie like myself a place to learn. I have finally taken the plunge and started to slowly build a home theater but have quickly run into my first hiccup.

First the set up: Marantz sr 5003 bi-amped to Klipsch rf63's.

As the subject says, whenever I play a blu-ray at high volumes, -5 or higher specifically, my Marantz sr5003 will go into standby mode. I can immediatly turn it back on, and then turn the volume to -6 or lower and have no problems what so ever. I did a search and found similar, but not exact, situations.

What do you all think the problem may be? Do I not have enough power, as I do intend to buy an amp and really only wanted the marantz to act as a stop gap until I could get an amp, and then it would decipher the audio. Wiring problem, speaker problem? I'll leave my speculations aside and let those more adept in home theater toss me a few ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. Be careful, that plunge can be a bottomless Klipsch pit.

It seems like you are hitting the Marantz's power threshold. The RF-63's have some low impedence dips and maybe your 5003 is going into thermal protection mode to of all things "protect". Those are pretty high volumes you are listening to so it may be very wise to get that outboard amp if you want to keep listening at high spl's. When watching movies at such levels, those bombs and crashes easily hit those power peaks. Keep it at "normal" movie watching levels until you add the amp or replace that receiver(or speakers) sooner than you want.

Bill

Would purchasing a dedicated sub take enough of the work away from the Marantz/63's to achieve my rediculous volume expectations? Or should I focus on getting that amp? Leaning towards amp, might as well make the speakers I currently have sound their best before I add more.

Yes, I know that -5 is a pretty high volume, infact I doubt I could comfortably watch an entire movie at that level...but, while I might never go 200mph in a car, it would be nice to say I could.

Yes I think that should help greatly. Set the front channel crossovers on the Marantz to say 80hz and that will definitely put much less strain on your receiver. As you must know, it takes a lot more power to run high spl's down low than up high.

Bill

So, this evening I switched the highs and lows to their proper positions on the amp and I now have a new pair of speakers at those ear bleeding levels. The only problem I had watching Terminator:Salvation was the fact that at volume levels -5 and above, which is possible now, it was pretty much unbearable on the ears. The bass the speakers now put out is much cleaner and shakes the house like never before. I expected a positive change from wiring correctly but this is incredible.

Thank you

Ted