Amps For Cornwall 2's

ka7niq

Any experience with what kind of amps the Cornwall 2's like ?

I just bought a pair of Cornwall II's, waiting on the BEC Tweeter Titanium Diapraghms, and some new ERSE Poly Caps.

Currently, they are hooked up to a Yamaha RX V1 Receiver, and sound pretty decent.

I do not have an owners manual, and dont know what kind of load they are, but the Yamaha drives them to ear splitting levels.

Are the Cornwall 2's known to be fussy, as far as amps go ?

I have pre outs, so I could try other amps I own.

What is the Cornwall 2 "amp consensus" anyone ?

I do have tubes, but want to keep the Cornwall 2's in my home theatre room.

They play loud enough to play over the top of my big subs, and I like that.

They give me the Big Disco type "Club" sound I am currently looking for, in THAT room.

I am currently single, and have partys at my house, and my floor in that room is ceramic tile.

You can dance, and spill beer on it, no worries!

The Cornwall 2's allow me to crank the big subs for that hard hitting dance club sound I am currently after.

The Yamaha RX V1 is over 100 watts RMS into 8 ohms, and I have heard no clipping, yet.

The room is 20 by 24 with a low 7 ft suspended ceiling, with fiberglass insulation stuffed under it.

I have some bigger amps, pro sound types, capable of 500 WPC I can try, but I want to keep the Yamaha RX V1 because I have a full blown Yamaha DSP system with all the required speakers on my walls!

I REALLY Love the Yamaha DSP System for watching TV or Movies, but find it to "echoey" for music.

Well, let me qualify that.

It IS possibe to adjust the Yamaha DSP system for Music,on just one recording.

I have made SOME music sound incredible, after hours of tweaking it.

However, when you change CD's, seldom does the next CD sound right!

So, I find the Yamaha DSP system to be a Royal PITA, as far as MUSIC goes.

For Movies, I have heard nothing that can equal it!

The Yamaha DSP system used "front effects speakers" that mount on the walls, directly behing and above the Cornwall 2's.

This is their "secret".

These front effects speakers drastically "stretch" the front soundstage depth, creating the most believable Movie Theatre Effect I have ever had in MY home.

Swithcing to plain old DTS, or Dolby Digital, is a big letdown.

THIS is why I am reluctant to "get a better preamp" and remove the Yamaha RX V1 from my system.

It does have pre outs, just wondered how "fussy" the Cornwall 2's are known to be ?

Comments ??

For HT, Mine like the Onkyo TX-SR605's/705's; For 2Channel, I prefer vintage Sansui AU-9900/11000's

Cool, I have an old Onkyo 919 THX Ultra Certified receiver.

It is only Dolby Pro Logic, but can be easily converted to dolby digital, since it has pre outs and pre in's for all channels.

It was the very first THX certified receiver ever made, and carried the THX Ultra specs.

It is said that Tomlinson Holman of APT designed the amplifier stage ?

Onkyo gave their old flagship a super tuner, easily the equal of my Yamaha TX 950.

It even has a decent phono stage built in.

Ditto on the vintage Sansui stuff !!!

My best friend just picked up a vintage Sansui Analog Tuner that sounds incredible!

The old Sansui amps you have might be the ones that used Sansui's X Balanced circuitry ?

I love that old stuff,,,,,

If you really want to rock you are going to need a separate amp with a couple of hundred watts per channel. You can use your pre-outs for now but you'll want a separate pre-amp eventually. The big amps will give you the bass thump you are looking for, even at lower volumes.

Thanx, Russ

If you really want to rock you are going to need a separate amp with a couple of hundred watts per channel. You can use your pre-outs for now but you'll want a separate pre-amp eventually. The big amps will give you the bass thump you are looking for, even at lower volumes.

Thanx, Russ

Thanks Russ !