What would you reccomend for surrounds in 7.1 ?

Miron88

Hi,

I've decided on the Denon 3802, which has outputs of 7.1.

For the rear and side channels should I get 2 pairs of surround speakers (Dipoles or Bipoles) or should I get one pair of direct and one pair of surrounds (Dipoles or bipoles) OR should I get two pairs of direct speakers.

I know this is a matter of opinion, but I would use the receiver about 80-90% as a Home theatre. It seems every store I go into to the salesmen has his/her own opinion (and voices it) or doesn't have the all the configurations that the 7 channels setup could have.

I am so confused about this.

Thanks in advance.

Miron - From what I've read on this forum, it seems that most folks tend towards radiating (dipole/WDST) for the side surrounds and direct for the rear surrounds, especially if your primary use is for HT.

I believe it is because the rear surround channels are meant for more localized audio cues, best delivered by direct speakers, and the side surround channels are meant to be a bit more diffuse.

Doug

------------------

My System

bought an RB-5 for my rear surrounds based on the same info i read .. my sides are RS-7's. but the RB-5's is too tough to hang and can't really be too close to the wall since it's rear ported. can anyone recommend another type of speaker to use. i can't use full range speakers for surrounds due to room limitation so it must be mountable somehow. what if i just used another pair of RS-7's for the rear surrounds?

Have you considered something smaller like a pair of Quintets?? If wall mounting is an issue.

I also have the 3802 with KLF-30's/C-7 up front and KLF-10's for surrounds. Currently using a small set of KLH monitors mounted to the wall behind the couch and the sound is excellent.

There does not seem to be a huge amount of sound from the back channel in 99% of the DVD's out, perhaps because it's matrixed in the receiver and not true 6.1/7.1.

My experience has been that direct radiating sound great, and Timbre matching has NOT been an issue.

Happy Listening...Mike

discusman,

I am using a(1) KSF-S5 (WDST) rear center with my KSP-S6s (WDST) and I have no problems with them. See if a dealer will let you take a pair of RS7s home and try them. Put them on something and see how they sound with your system. Another option would be using one or two RC7s for your rear center(s).