The end of current technology to produce sound?

I think this is another "Miracle Technology" that will eventually disappear into the mists. I think it is doable but would likely be so flaming expensive that few if any ordinary consumers could afford it - even if the sound quality is as good as they predict.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

quote:

Originally posted by mdeneen:

I think surgical implants is probably a lot closer of a technology than this would be. "Direct input to the ear's nerve" - little Firewire port/chip under the skin which attaches to an optically coupled device strapped onto the head like a headphone. This would allow you to "plug-in" to any device like a computer, CD player, telephone, or whatever.

Hey mdeneen, that's really interesting! do you have a link?

Well that poses another set of problems, mainly, can this "beat frequency" cancel the intended waves, everywhere & consistently to produce the desired resultant "sound"cwm13.gif. Ultrasonic waves still reflect off of objects!cwm24.gif Otherwise we've got distortion all over again. cwm45.gifOne positive result though ...we probably would have less rodents running around the premises, LOL.cwm32.gif Can you tell I'm getting my jollies with these damn smiles? cwm25.gif

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 03-11-2002 at 05:00 PM

quote:

Originally posted by SOUNDJUNKIE:

Ultrasonic waves still reflect off of objects!
cwm24.gif
Otherwise we've got distortion all over again.

You have to look at this, see the video also! From what I understand (perhaps Im just deluded) the sound wave takes form IN THE RECIPIENT, thus no reflection at all:

http://www.atcsd.com/tl_hss.html

It looks to be frequency modulation of a piezo-electric device(s) to produce a directional sound. The modulation would be detected at the listener position directly AND indirectly via reflected signals of hard objects. Having said that, there are caveats. The first being the reflected signals off of the FRONT of hard objects ALSO reflect off of the BACK of hard objects here given the proper incident angle and observing all of Snell's laws. It is like this...you look in a mirror and you say sometimes, I look really good! Well,...your all blurry! The mirror, it turns out, is fuzzing your image because your reflection passes through the glass to the back reflective surface(which is where the reflective coating is) and back again through the glass to your eyes. It even reflects off of the front of the glass to some extent and adds to your perception of yourself. If you were to look into a "first surface" mirror, the type that has a reflective coating on the front side instead of the back, you would see everything very clearly, the good, the bad and sometimes ugly. Point is, there is potential for much distortion here of this perfect sound source. Secondly, Ultrasonic waves like the type used here(MHz range)behave strangely when they contact interface boundries like air to skin, skin to bone. The "mode" of the wave sometimes changes and there are two distinct waves that enter an object when the incident angle is great enough not to reflect off, sort of like how light enters a crystal and changes into the spectrum(it's still white light, right?...not). additionally, since our "hearing" has two components(we hear through our ears & our skulls) the potential for distorted sound through our skull increases with this technology as the frequencies used here penetrates our skulls more readily. Lastly, the sound being produced here is much like that of a tweeter compression driver sans horn. IMPO, having worked and designed with such devices for a number of years, it would be impractical to get the sound pressure levels needed at lower freqs to be practical to HiFi. The complete playback chain, right up to the electronics to drive the crystals used would be too involved and lengthy to acheive any sort of High Fidelity. Interesting technology with some obvious uses but unless the transistor radio-to-the ear type of listening is what really floats your boat, I wouldn't sell your K-horns(or Heresy's) just yet boys and girls.cwm1.gif

Thanks! I had to nap for a good two hours after that one, LOL. BTW, I picked up some 2470's with titanium diaphrams bc I was going to put together a horn system...then I found a pair of Chorus II's that are coming this weekend. I couldn't believe how large/heavy the 2470 drivers are. You think it might be beneficial to use the 2470's in lieu of the K-57??