Image S4i...ear tip size a factor in decent treble response? or what?

sunnysal

As a new owner of the image S4i I am not liking the tonal balance, too bass heavy for my taste. I feel the upper mids and treble register are under emphasized. I use my iphone with my other headphones (a top line over ear grado, a top line over ear sennhieser, some in-ear sonys [top line for them as well] and some sony ear buds besides the apple buds) and these are really heavy in the bass and light in the treble. I hear it most with the high hats...should I play around with the size of the ear tips? I dont want to futz with the EQ since the tonal balance sounds great with my other, reference phones...I must admit I like the treble to be extended and clear, I own klipschorns for example, but these are not there yet. break in? what!? any advice is greatly appreciated. tony

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback Professor, Will the X5 have the nifty apple controls? Maybe in the near future? If not I will stick with these S4is since the sony 71s I mentioned (which do not have the apple controls) please me just fine if I need phones without the controls. The controls are the principal reason I bought these (and my love for Klipsch products in general) I am posting in the other thread about the results of break in efforts. I may try the eartip hole thing though....warm regards, Tony

3. Buy an X5... This frequequency response is flatter.

[8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

My favorite of the Image models by far. Much clearer highs than the Image X10 is how I would describe the sound. I use the Image X10 daily and have only heard the Image S4 for a few minutes but thought for the coin it was amazing. Maybe a somewhat darker sound than the Image X5 but not really lacking in the highs?

Of course the Image X5 should sound better. MSRP approximately 2.5 times the S4i. Also "faster" bass due to the use of an armature driver.

But P Thump.... Tony wants the nifty control offered by the Image S4i.... are you implying there will be an Image X5i in the not too distant future? [H] (I have no use for the i model but sounds like a great idea).

Is it also possible there's something wrong with Tony's S4i? Though I'd think the complete sound sprectrum would suffer?

Silly question Tony, but have you checked the nozzles for wax? I've never had more than flakes in my Custom 2 or Image X10 but they can cause a buzzing. Clog that nozzle up it'll sound muffled as all get out. Or did you say it sounded muffled out of the box?

Get out that little cleaning tool and see if there's anything in there. I've found flakes that pretty much blend in with the clearish nozzles. You also might want to take off the gels and carefully clean the nozzles. I had a small flake of wax once that fell in pretty deep that added a not too pleasant raspiness to the sound. I couldn't even see it really and had to suck it out like using a straw. If it's wax in your case I'd think you'd be able to see it in the nozzle but it's awfully hard to see in there.

Ben, No..it was like this out of the box (though the burn in helped a bit). positioning has not really helped me much, it can increase the emphasis in treble I find but not the clartiy and space like I mention on the other thread. warm regards, tony