Klipsch Reference Speakers

Aaron_DeWitt

I am going to be purchasing the reference speakers for my home theater. It is basically only going to be used for hometheater about 95%. I was wondering what speakers do you recommend. Rf-3's , 5's or 7's. 7's would be nice but are pretty expensive. Does anyone one know where to get a good deal on them? If they are out of my price range is there a huge sound difference between the 3's and 5's? is it worth skipping the 3's and going to the 5's or buy the 3's and then save up for the 7's. Also i plan on getting the Rc-7 for my center channel. Does it work well with all of the main speakers? Thanks for the help. I have more questions but will leave it at that right now.

Aaron

If you want the most for the least as they say get the RF-3II's,great sound,great price.Tyhe RF-5's are not better in any major way,bit deeper bass,better conectors on the back,better finish.That is about all

The RF-7 is another animal,its worth the extra,but can you spare the change?If yes go and get the RF-7,if its too expensive just get the RF-3II's.

Just dont skinp on the center and get the RC-7,its a great match for any Klipsch R series mains.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I had the RF3s before they became the RF3II, they are a great speaker and did me well for the year I had them, but musically not as well, but probably still very good, I just have a bad case of Upgraditis and moved up to the RF7s in Cherry, and this past weekend received my RC7 center in Black and that works great, vocals are very real sounding and smooth, worth the dollars, I had the RC3 and traded in, actually as I was trading it in another fellow was in the store and they just packed up my speaker and sold it to him, he was taking some RF7s home that day and wanted a new Center channel...went pretty quick! I imagine he will move up to the RC7, now the RC7 is a bit of a beast! I could see someone buying 6 of these for their entire system, nice speaker!

Good luck on your decision, but I'm with TE in regards to the Center, Get the RC7...

G2

Although new to home audio, I did have the complete

RF-3II speaker pakage hooked up, powered by a Yamaha RX-v620.

This set up was just okay. Nothing less would due.

Latter I upgraded the receiver to a Yamaha RX-V1200 trying to gain stronger bass, better sound, more power. Difference, but not huge.

Upgraded one more time to the Yamaha RX-V3000. This was a Night and day difference.

Still not happy with the sound at high volumes. Out of frustration, I scraped up all loose change, emptied a savings account, and just went for the best Klipsch had to offer and bought the RF-7s. I didn't really understand how good these speakers were up until recently. They are 2 ch Rock and Rollers, for HT clean, loud and full sounding.

With the RF-7s for mains I tried to made due with the RC-3II for a center and the RS-3IIs for the rears but "I'm to picky" so I scraped up more change, sold the cat and traded infor the RC-7 and the RS-7s.

Now I am happy and joyous and my ears hurt.

I could,

through the RX-V3000 receiver make adjustments

to the main speakers to reduce the power sent to RF-7s, then increasine the power (a little) to the RC-3II and the RS-3IIs to help balance out the sound.

In the end

(It was very close), alot of trouble, and still not a great match. If I hadn't had the extra cash, I could have lived with the RF-7s with the RC-3II and the RS-3IIs for a while. But I am picky.

Maybe for normal folks it may have been fine. But for me I went for the best. Not enough difference for the money so I didn't really consider the RF-5s. Went right for the RF-7s. Hope this helps.

Did I say My ears Hurt,

TO: TheEAR & HornEd

I don't see how you two can hear at all? LOL

cwm14.gifcwm36.gif

My volume control was designed by Spinal Tap...goes to 11. Of course I've only got 30's, 10's, and a C-7 Wink.gif

But I have been known to peg +12 on my Denon 3802 at times....

Yes dear, that is blood oozing out of my ears, but isn't it amazing how cyrstal clear they sound at that volume!

P.S. Still looking for a set of 30's/20's if anybody has a lead. TIA...Mike

von, basically w/ lower current amps & at lower volumes you don't get as good bass output & definition relative to the higher frequencies; since it's the bass freq that need the most current. actually imo that's pretty much the case at all volume levels but it's most apparent at low volume levels. cwm1.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 03-13-2002 at 07:31 PM

Hey Boa,

I have been boucen off the EARS, what power amp to invest in, in order to gain some bass. Thinking the 1505, or 2505. Then we'll see how the amp improves the bass. Should the power amp does not produce pounding bass, hummmmm it should? Then an investment in a SVS ultra sub may be made.

Surely a 2505 would bring out more than enough BASS.

I'd like to bring a amp home, try it out before I buy.

Audio Port said they would check out a rotelt to me for a few days. Audio Port has all the high, high, end speakers..... 10,000.00 25,0000.00 pr.

Saw your other post, wouldn't pass up the offer to pre-veiw your system. Westwood is its own well established area by Mission Hills, South of SHW PKWY?

Is the RX-V3000 a low current receiver?

Shopping for audio equipment is hard *a* work.

Finding people in the audio stores who know, has been a knedle in a hay stack.

Thanks to You All for this Forum

von, yea i've been to audioport a few times. was demoing the denon 4802 before i decided to go the seperates route (b&K). trouble is they don't have klipsch. Wink.gifFrown.gif

how do you run your yammy? have you tried it w/ large vs. small, lfe to both fronts & sub, sub crossover in/out, etc.

i think you're on the right track w/ an svs or an additional sub. the yammy should be fine w/ rf speaks.

maybe your 1st step should be more powered subwoofage

&, believe it or not setting your rf-7 as small & switching out the crossover on your vel sub.

lots of variables involved here including your own tastes & preferences. but it may be, if you find the bass not optimal, that your rf-7 & sub aren't set up so they blend the best in your room.

best thing would probably be to experiment w/ all the different settings on your receiver & sub (& the room placement of the sub). hard if not impossible to tell you where to move here.

oh yea i'm just north of shawnee mission parkway near sprint world hdqtrs.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa,

Have been keeping all speaker settings on large and lfe on both. One would think 2-$800.00 10" inch woofers would deliver plenty of boom. Suppose this is where my more information & education with speakers is needed.

It is true, the level of bass is infuenced by how the cd played has been recorded. Some have good bass others do not. When playing cd's that have bass, just not strong bass, I am hoping a power ammp will help bring out, or amplify the exsisting bass. But if you think I should go shopping for sub first, then A sub first.

I'll spend sometime changing the speaker settings

& playing with the sub. I have done this before with the RF-3IIs before trading them In for the RF-7s. Maybe I'm expecting to much bass, or the wrong type of bass from these RF-7s?

Do you know about these Rotel power amps from Audio Port. There cheapest one cost 1,200.00. I still may check one out for the weekend. All I need is a credit card and they said I could sample one for a day or so.