Newbie here, with (nearly) free, (nearly) functional Cornwalls... Help!

JettaGLi16v

Isn't this so fun this is my favorite part of buying new speakers. Except I have never made it passed up to par, but once you get there and have some time to play around with other things like sources, wires, stylus, etc etc... it's just the greatest thing. Have fun. thanks for sharing your story.

duder

Brad - welcome aboard. I see no one has mentioned (although Marshall may have told you when you visited him to get the K-33) that it's a good thing to loosen ALL the wires on the crossovers a turn or two, and re-tighten. Just double check all the connections and try again.

Bruce

But, they are a little off.....

-One woofer (the one I replaced) is playing noticeably less than the other (original) woofer.

By less, I mean quiter, and a noticeable difference in the speaker-bouncing-the-finger test..

I'll double check my connections at the speaker later, but I am 100% sure I am good there.

Any ideas? Start by redoing the crossovers and see from there?

-One midrange and tweeter (also on the same speaker as the quiet woofer) have a noticeable "crackle".

This is more evident at low volume and goes away a bit when you really turn it up. It may have possibly gotten better

after a good half hour session of really playing them, or maybe not.

It makes sense to m that if the diaphragms are a phenolic material, I would imagine they could be pretty rough at 28 years old.

But, when I just had the good one playing by its lonesome, I can say that it is one hell of a speaker.

Boy, do they sing!! And if they are this decent now, I cant wait to get them up to par!

Thanks!

-Brad

Brad, did you try swapping out the woofers to see if the "quiet one" still has the lower output?

You may want to replace the tweeter diaphrams, but before you do that try disconnecting the tweeters to see if the crackling is still there. That should isolate which driver is the culprit. If both the tweeter and the squawker crackle then you know it's the crossover.

Good luck!

Herb

OK, Cool,

So everything is Swap (or disconnect) and see troubleshooting.. I can dig it!

Definitely saw a lot of old connections in there,

even the terminal box on the back is a pretty Rube Goldberg arrangement,

complete with rusty non-stainless screws from the inside into the terminals...

Swapping those woofers is quite a workout, though!

Would it generally devalue the speakers to add a more modern terminal cup to these boxes, with a Banana Plug?

(Or can you buy new versions of this arrangement?)

Or should I just plan on replacing the things I would consider consumeables:

Xover caps, and mid / tweet diaphragms? That would be like $100-140 from Bob Crites, and then the only original things are the woofers, and the other components of the crossover, which seem to be a bit more robust than the caps... (Simply because I have not seen as much attention to replacing the other things on the X-over board)

Thanks!

-Brad