Crossover Setting?

Jakeg123

My new Yamaha RX-V765 was finally delivered! Now I am finally trying to go through some of the settings on it. I have never had a receiver before that let me change the crossover. What should I set the crossover to? What would work best with my RF-62s, RC-62, RS-42s, and Sub-12? I was thinking either 60Hz or 80Hz? (I currently have all of my speakers set to "small")

Hi Jake, glad to hear you got a new receiver, I did too. The THX standard is 80Hz, but I have experimented with 60 and it doesn't sound too bad. Depends on your room/size, plus do you like it LOUD or comfortable. One thing to keep in mind is with a 80Hz x-over point, your receiver doesn't have to work as hard as with a 60 Hz point, how much difference I don't know but I have noticed my old Yamaha would get a little warmer when using the 60Hz point.

I'll pile on a question here. If your mains go down to xHz, why is it better to set the x-over to x+30Hz? The RF-62 is rateddown to 39Hz +/- 3db. I would start the testing with the x-over at 40. Am I completely, utterly wrong here? Is there a stated rationalle for the THX-80Hz cutoff?

I'll pile on a question here. If your mains go
down to xHz, why is it better to set the x-over to x+30Hz? The RF-62
is rateddown to 39Hz +/- 3db. I would start the testing with the
x-over at 40. Am I completely, utterly wrong here? Is there a stated
rationalle for the THX-80Hz cutoff?

Limiting the low
frequency extension of a speaker reduces its distortion at higher
frequencies. Also, a xover is not an instaneous transfer between
speakers...you should have a good octave of bandwidth around the xover
frequency in order to maintain good acoustic summation. Also, the phase
response of a speaker starts getting crazy near its low frequency
cutoff, which makes dialing in the xover that much more difficult.

Most
studios are using an 80Hz xover on their subs, so hitting the same
xover point makes it easier to dial in the subwoofer and compensate for
any possible monitoring irregularities in the studio (most studios run
the sub a touch too hot). Trying to run the sub hotter with a lower
xover frequency like 40Hz means the range from 40-80Hz won't get
adjusted with the subwoofer level.

And finally, the average
listening environment starts to have strong room modes at around 100Hz
and below. The purpose of running a single subwoofer is that you can
find a location in the room that optimizes the modal response....often
times the mains need to be positioned differently in order to optimize
the imaging of the system. I definitely wouldn't consider a lower xover
unless your mains don't suffer from modal issues between 40-80Hz (which
probably won't be the case).

The only advantage to crossing over
lower is that the subwoofer doesn't need to work as hard. However,
20-40Hz is only one octave. 40Hz to 2kHz is nearly 6 octaves, which
puts a lot of strain on the woofers in your mains (relatively
speaking).

Thanks guys for all the input! I hope Jakeg123 is following.

Based on my newly found uncertainty, about the only thing I would tell you (Jake) is to try setting all your speakers to 'large'. I tried small for the smaller speakers and was very disappointed.

Mike, the subs are in phase. My surronds/backs set to 'large' reproduce the low end fairly well. When I set them to small, there are too many <200Hz frequencies routed to the mains. It just messes up the separation. I'm happy with the sound. I will play with the crossover freq. and the sub settings to maximize the 'warmth' of the entire range. (My 4 year old fliped the switch on 1 of the subs putting it out of phase and it took 2 seconds to notice.)

Honestly, I am really surprised that the RB-25s put out as much as they do. Set to 'large' they can sing. When playing music in muti-channel stereo mode the room is filled.

I found, as you stated, that the room below 100Hz is really picky. I'm glad the sweet spot for viewing is also the sweet spot for listening. I've been VERY lucky. Although, an inch or so makes a huge difference. The wife never knows where the furnishings will be when I'm in testing mode.

Thank you for providing so much information everyone! i have been playing around with my setting a lot lately. I think i am going to leave my crossover at 80Hz. Something about it just sounds good. I had everyone in my family give their opinion. It is amazing how even a little thing like setting the crossover can be so fun to play with! At the moment my speakers are set to small. I have always heard that I should set them to small and I haven't even listened to them set to large. I am not home right now, but I will be sure to try out setting them to Large when I get home!

Thank you for providing so much information everyone! i have been playing around with my setting a lot lately. I think i am going to leave my crossover at 80Hz. Something about it just sounds good. I had everyone in my family give their opinion. It is amazing how even a little thing like setting the crossover can be so fun to play with! At the moment my speakers are set to small. I have always heard that I should set them to small and I haven't even listened to them set to large. I am not home right now, but I will be sure to try out setting them to Large when I get home!

There is no crossover point when you set your speakers to large.