rf-83's or rf-82's

s matthews

Welcome to the forum.

Most important, buy what you can afford. With that said, I don't think your Denon has enough oomph to do the 83/64 combo any justice. While the Denon is a nice receiver, the RF-83's need some clean high current power to get the spl's way up to the level you desire without distortion.

One option is to get the RF-82 system and run the Denon by itself or(if I were you and can afford) let the Denon act as pre/pro and get an outboard amp to power the 83/64. Forum member Youthman has the 83/64 combo in his HT and is using a Yamaha RX-V1800(130w/ch). For a mid/high level receiver, the Yamaha has a very nice amp section . While the Yamaha does a very respectable job, he still wants an amp to really let it shine. I believe the amps in the Yamaha are more potent than what is in your Denon.

As I said before, if you can afford the 83/64 combo, get it and try it with the Denon alone. If you really like it loud, adding an amp will provide the headroom you want without any real danger to your equipment(except for your ears).

Bill

I say go for the RF-83. It will be cheaper to upgrade to an external amp then getting the RF-82 and upgrading to the RF-83.

I originally had my RF-83 setup hooked up to a Sony receiver that stated 110 wpc. I purchased used separates with the amp being 100 wpc then switched again to my current amp of 165 wpc.

Get the best speakers you can so you don't end up asking yourself, "what if" later on.

James

I have to 2nd the welcome from willand, and admit to something. I have pulled my subs from my living room due the performace of my RF3's. A little background info will help. I have used a many many av units Sony ES Denon Onkyo and have always been left kinda confused at my speakers performace. I just purchased a nad 2200 at a deal, very affordable, and have fell in love with my RF3's again. Some of you maybe able to relate to this look of "WOW where did that come from?" Even though klipsch speakers are more sensitive than most the question still applies how many drivers are you trying to move and how big are they. My personal opinion get the 83's due to this will be a purchase you will keep for some time and with the addition of a quality 2 channel amp or the other config you will be amazed the bass response and clean output these are capable of.

Great, thanks for the input Bill,,,,,,,going to go ahead with the 83's and also check out this Onkyo m-5099 p/amp. it's a 200 w/ch. which is double the Denon i believe. As long as that will match up and it's as clean as the Denon then i should be getting closer to where i'd like to be....( for now).....

When i can get a RC-64, i think i'll try it on the Denon side and hope the Onkyo/RF-83 combo doesn't over power the Denon channels.......

Thanks again, TSM