Amp to match new TV

kgriz

My previous setup was a samsung 32inch with my yamaha htr 5730. I was just plugged in with an av to headphone jack to the audio out headphone jack in the back of the tv. I got a new TV and the only audio out it has is an optical out. My reciever has an optical out but it has to be paired with an AV out to work. My question is are there any 5.1 receivers with 100w per ch. that will run any sound going through the TV with just an optical out. Any help would be great. I would really like to have my sound back while watching tv or playing games.

Thanks,

Kevin

The limiting factor is that as far as I'm aware no TV sends any kind of surround-sound signal through its digital audio output, it will only be in two channel. So even if you had a 5.1 receiver you won't be able to listen in Dolby Digital or DTS surround.

Most of the TV's i've had in the past will pass a 5.1 signal from TV to reciever assuming that what being feed to the TV is 5.1

For example, I use to have cox cable ( no box neccessary) when watching a digital channel with DD, I could run a SPDIF out for 5.1

I did not alway have this setup but it did work.

I am not worried about the 5.1. I would just like to have it in case of future speakers. I currently have 2 speakers and a sub. I could even use a 2.1 amp. I am just wondering if there are any 2.1 or 5.1 receivers with 100w per/ch. That have an input selection that says optical or something like that.

I might not have the answer you are looking for, heck I may be out in left field somewhere. I just wanted to say that the best place to pull audio info is directly from the source rather than through the TV. Your game station should have an audio out that you can use. The TV is another deal altogether, it will depend on where you are getting your TV signal but again as close to the original source the better. I don't know if that helps. There are so many options today it's hard to guess the best way until you have all the equipment in front of you. On one of my TVs I can pull the TV signal from coax, composite video, 3 color coax, hdmi, dvi and probably optical, it gets pretty wild.

Thanx, Russ