Tube Guide?

kevinmi

IAlso, the amp came with both a Sovek tube rectifier, which 'flashed and died' within a few hours, but I was also given a solid state Weber Copper Cap rectifier, which is now in there. I've heard the rectifier doesn't affect sound much (if at all), and I'm hesitant to put in a more expense (aka Mullard) rectifier given the unknown reason that first one blew so quickly. (I was power cycling while the amp was already warm/hot. Isn't that okay?)

NO - that is NOT OK with a Sovtek or Sino 5AR4. Not really recommended with a Mullard, either, although they will usually "take it". 5AR4s should be allowed to cool down before powering back up again.

I DO use Mullards. I believe in the benefits of tube rectifiers on Klipsch, and I use pre 1966 Mullards in my VRDs. I stocked up in recent years.....you CAN do better than typical market prices if you look around......

Don't overlook the Groove tube 5AR4 new issues. The new one is an exact Mullard copy from the '60s.

I've been running 4 of them in different amps and I'll have to admit they're a good stable tube so far.

I like the "Euro" tubes from the '60s best to my ears. The "DISCLAIMER" to this is all tubes sound different with all components so trial and error is the key. Not all tubes match up with your gear so rolling is the only way to find out what fits your ears and system.

I still have a tendency to burn my fingers on the "tone controls". Let 'em cool down.

Once you find what you like it's cool.

Money aside, rolling tubes is fun and part of the pleasure.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any 12AX7 tubes laying around

i may, what are you looking for?

Gary

Gary, I'm looking for for some single tubes for my preamp. I need something that is extremely quiet, and I'm wanting to get that warm, tubey vintage sound. I'm running a Tung-sol in the center position, with Groove Tubes on the left/right (3 tube preamp with 6x4 rectifier tube). I've tried new EH tubes and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS, and I'm not liking either. I'm thinking I need to go vintage. Any suggestions?

pm sent

That said, I agree on Teles not being my faves in most other apps. I've heard Teles in Cary and other modern gear and HATED them. My vintage McIntosh exploits are a specific "gear/speaker/tonality" combo that I really love....I basically ignored Joe on this one, because vintage doesn't seem to be much his "bag" (and MC30's certainly aren't). Joe's after "wide open/unveiled/unrestrained", and in many respects I find some of his advices on 6DJ8 worthwhile, but we definitely part ways on Mac....and 12AX7s in general. I like 12AX7 preamps AND 6DJ8 preamps too, but for different reasons, just as I like vintage AND modern approaches each for thier different reasons.

well said!

I am rolling two sets. The Telefunken smooth plates are my favorite, very mellow and smooth. But if I want a brighter sound I use the Mullards which I really like too, especially with older vinyl that doesn't have a lot of high end left. I think digital music sounds better with the TFK's.

Herb

are the Mullards you are speaking the long black plates or the short gray plates?...I totally concur with your Telefunken description...awesome tube, I always think the best description of the Amperex Bugle Boys is a hybrid of the best qualities of the Telefunken ribbed plates and the Mullard long black plates which gives the best of both worlds, they also have a 3D hollographic sound unheard with any other tube...

The Mullards are the military grade CV4024's which are the gray plates I think??? They are 12AT7's, all the 12AX7's i use are TFK's. My next project is to get a quad set of Gold LIon reissues to replace the stock K88's in the MC275.

Is that your new Thorens TT?

Herb

The Mullards are the military grade CV4024's which are the gray plates I think??? They are 12AT7's, all the 12AX7's i use are TFK's. My next project is to get a quad set of Gold LIon reissues to replace the stock K88's in the MC275.

The CV 4024s are excellent tubes! If you want I may know someone who has a used quad of Gold Lions? Thats my Thorens:)