KG5.5 Crossover question

Dylanl

This is a great speaker to modify..I did the crossovers and tweeters threw Bob crites.. Every one thats heard my Kg 5.5's says the sound is aweseome..The only info I personaly can help you with is this...http://www.critesspeakers.com/...although i realize you want to do this yourself I dont think that link is helpful to u

No way, this is awesome!!! I haven't been on this forum in a while. What brings me here today is to find out how to make my KG5.5's sound better. I'm targeting the highs. After installing my new car stereo with 2 sets of Boston SPZ 60's, the highs on the KG5.5's just don't cut it any more. The tweets on the SPZ's are unbelievable.

So I'm willing to learn what I can do to the KG5.5's.
I'm using a Denon 3808

JetSnake,

Good to see you around again! I definitely recommend going with Bob Crites' titanium diaphragms. I'd be happy to help with the install too.

I'm going to be calling Crites tomorrow for a set of the titanium diaphragms. It looks easy to install and should be able to do it myself, but where are you located, I'm now in Ramsey.

Are there any modifications to the cross-overs I need to do with these new diaphragms? I see they offer a cross-over repair kit. Does this kit keep the cross-over at stock specs, or does it modify it? I'm curious to know, but I'll find out when I call them.

I'm up in Saint Cloud.

You don't need to modify the crossovers. Bob's kits bring the factory crossovers back to factory specs and upgrade them as well.

The titanium diaphgrams aren't too difficult to do. If you do end up needing help with them let me know.

This is a great speaker to modify..I did the crossovers and tweeters threw Bob crites.. Every one thats heard my Kg 5.5's says the sound is aweseome..The only info I personaly can help you with is this...http://www.critesspeakers.com/...although i realize you want to do this yourself I dont think that link is helpful to u

Montigue231, What did you have done to your 5.5's to have everyone drooling over?

Alright, I just installed my new Ti diaphragms. I don't know if they need a break-in period but I gave them a work out from the start. They put a smile on my face, but not really what I was hoping. Digging through the settings on the Denon 3808 receiver, I found the Night Mode was set to High. Haha, I turned off the night mode, and I got another smile on my face:) But still not where I'd like it to be. I'd like to know where the cross-over point is between the horn and woofer? Because I don't think my problem is with the horn. I want to say my 5.5's are still a little muddy between about 400Hz to 1,000Hz. I'm sure the horn doesn't go as low as 1,000Hz. It's like the 5.5's should have had a 6.5" woofer to handle the frequency between the 10" woofers and the horn, I don't know. It's like the 10" woofers don't respond as fast as they should. That's a little confusing for me because while wiping the dust off the woofers with a dry micro towel, I noticed how freely the cone moves, no effort to make it move at all.

Another thought I have, I wonder if it would help sound quality if I tore the speakers down to bare box and coated the inside of the box with Spectrum from Second Skin. I have some laying around.
Maybe I should have started a new thread, don't mean to hi-jack.

Most Klipsch two-way speakers are crossed over around 1.5kHz-2.0kHz or so. Dual 10" woofers handling the midrange won't give you nearly the same detail as having a dedicated midrange like a 3-way speaker has, especially a horn midrange.