The real audiophile test

For the last 6 weeks I've had a problem with my middle ears and have been unable to enjoy listening to music. During the diagnostic phase I had a basic audiometer test at a pre-insurance cost of about $100. The test revealed I've always had a "cookie cutter" hearing pattern. Not good, not bad but it indicates I do not hear "midrange" as well as the norm.

I've always enjoyed my cornwalls while many of my friends find their midrange a bit over powering. Does my inherent lack of hearing in the midrange cause me to like cornwalls over other speakers?

I wonder how many of us might be well served to spend $100 on an audiometer test to determine our natural hearing patterns before we chose audio components? Perhaps if we all knew our hearing better we could tune our component selections, interconnects, and listening rooms to our ears rather than the ever elusive perfectly flat frequency response curve. Just a thought for what it's worth.

Repeated exposure to loud noise will create a notch in your high frequency hearing that occurs around 6000Hz - if bad enough, it can make some speech difficult to discern. Some people are more susceptable than others.

I don't think you need a deep notch at 6000Hz to enjoy Cornwalls (said with a smile).

Warm regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 03-14-2002 at 12:14 PM

Get yourself a 31-band professional EQ and make those speakers sound anyway you want them to!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

See my post in this Forum - I know whereof ye speak,(even If I might have trouble hearing you cwm32.gif).

Same problem but different version.

FWIW I am looking forward to listening to my KLF's - probably for the first time.

See my earlier post in this forum:

http://216.37.9.58/cgi-bin/ubb/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum3&topic=001031

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 03-13-2002 at 11:08 PM

Friends...wait. I LUV my cornwalls. Between my wife and two interior decorators they have been repainted three times to make them aesthetically pleasing to living areas. If my family can they will bury these speakers with me.

I'm simply suggesting if we understand the inherent sonic signatures in our head we might make better choices about components.

As for the hum in my amp (MC225 for other readers)...it has been greatly reduced by careful separation of the cords, cables, etc and I believe a dedicated circuit will probably eliminate the remainder. I also found some orange, double shielded (consisting of heavy copper braid over 100% aluminum sheathing) with a single 18-gauge solid-copper center conductor interconnects at Radio Shack that seemed to help.

quote:

Originally posted by Charles Turner:

I wonder how many of us might be well served to spend $100 on an audiometer test to determine our natural hearing patterns before we chose audio components? Perhaps if we all knew our hearing better we could tune our component selections, interconnects, and listening rooms to our ears rather than the ever elusive perfectly flat frequency response curve. Just a thought for what it's worth.

I have found myself several times thinking this very idea. In fact, I think is brilliant! ;-)

Most "audiophiles" will swear that some particular system is the most "accurate", but if this were an absolute Truth, everyone else on earth will reach the same conclusion. This is not what happen, and I think one of the main reasons is the one you just exposed.

Everyone of us hears different.