Experience on plasma TV extended warranties

lo123

Does anyone have any data points on extended warranties for flat panel TVs? Looking at probably a plasma TV purchase sometime this year, trying to navigate the options on three to five year extended warranties. So far I've read about Square Trade and Service Master, but very limited feedback on coverage and experiences.

Any inputs appreciated.

I have a plasma and obtained the extended warranty for the additional 3 years. From all that I could find, the life expectancy is at least 6 years; if they are still ok after that point, they will likely last for 10 or more. I have a "Zenith", but it is actually a LG which is good quality. I've gotten my money out of it pretty much. The wave of the future is going to be the LED's which are much more efficient and do not have many of the problems associated with plasma or even the LCD's. I'd first make sure I bought one that is "common" (as in parts are always available), and carefully read the fine print if the vendor offers the extended warranty. You may get a better deal by contacting the manufacturer and finding out what they offer and what they will do if the vendor suddenly goes out of business like "Circuit City" did to it's bazillion customers.

I went with Square Trade for my TV's warranty that I purchased from Vanns. I haven't had to use it, but since I blew out the bulb in the TV after owning it less than 4 months, something tells me I'm glad I bought the extended warranty. [:(]