New Amp!

Fizzlemizzle

Just picked up a Audiosource Amp 3 locally. I have a Yamah RX-v659 but this is my first amp ever. It came with the Manual and is in MINT condition. Paid a very good price for it (165) and the first thing that struck me was how heavy it is. 28 pounds for a little low-mid range amp like this is pretty impressive to me. It's built very well and the internals look very good for an amp of this pricepoint. It will do 150 watts x 2 at 8ohm or 400 watts bridged at 8 ohm. The manual says it is stable down to 2 ohm but to not go lower than that and reviews I've read on audioreview confirmed that. Hometheaterhifi did a review and confirmed it puts out the rated power which is very nice as sometimes power ratings can be misleading. They gave the amp an awesome review and I'm very excited to hook it up to my RF-5s but it's a little late right now [:(]. I'm going to use it to power a DIY sub once I get the enclosure built. The successor of this amp goes for $699 new and has slightly worse specs. There is one of these brand new on ebay for $299 and even though I paid much less than that I think it would still be worth it as a budget amp. I'll let you guys know what I think of the sound/output when I hook it up tomorrow but from what I've read I should be more than pleased. Specs and pics to follow!

Review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_5_1/audiosourceamp3.html

Specs:

The power supply of the Amp 3 has four 6,800
µF capacitors with ± 62.5 Volts DC on the caps.

THD at rated power: <0.04

20hz-20khz +/- .5db

SNR: 110db

Headroom: 2db

16.5w x 4h x 13.25d. 28lbs 5oz

?action=view&current=Amp1.jpg&newest=1?action=view&current=Amp2.jpg&newest=1?action=view&current=Amp3.jpg&newest=1?action=view&current=Amp4.jpg&newest=1

• Moderators

To add images from photobucket to the forums, go to your image page, copy the URL next to where it says "Direct Link" and then in the Klipsch forums, hit Reply, then click on the Insert/Edit Image icon (looks like a green tree). Then paste the URL to your photo. Here is the first one for you.

Amp1.jpg

Website cut them off. I don't know how to resize but you get the idea of the amp. Anyway, I had a chance to hook it up to my system tonight. I went in not expecting much change in the sound but wow I was wrong. I hooked the amp up via the front pre-outs on the Yamaha RX-V659, I set the amp gain to half and used the receiver to adjust the volume. I started out with the cd Miles Davis kind of blue in my xbox360 via optical connection. I was shocked to hear a lot of hiss and the left horn sounded VERY honky. I was afraid it was the amplifier but after switching material I quickly realized the recording of the CD was awful. After putting in some other material I was surprised by how much cleaner and fuller it sounded. I even for a very short period turned down the receiver gain and turned the audiosource to max to check for distortion. There was none or atleast I couldn't tell the difference. It really was a big difference between the amp in the Yamaha. Soundstage was better and I realized it made bad recordings much more obvious. Dynamics also seemed improved when I listened to some classical and scores from the Star Wars (hell yeah). This is the first time I've powered my RF-5s with an amp and am really really impressed. I think I might keep this to power the fronts and look into another option for the subwoofer, I really like it that much. For an amp I paid 165 dollars for I really could not be happier. I'm not sure all audiosource gear is this quality but for a beginner amp I don't think you could do better. There is a new one on ebay for $299 and I think it's probably worth even that price.